IGNORED

Original Fairlady Z wheels?

Bleach

I've got an early 1970 Fairlady Z from Japan homemarket. right-hand-drive.

I want to know what kinds of wheels would be available from the factory for this car in Japan? What is the most common?

Mine is just a plain Fairlady Z with headlight covers, not a ZG, did not come with factory flares.

Originally with A/C, 5-speed, and orange in color. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm wanting to do a refresh and stick to factory specs. It came with two different pairs of rims when I bought it.

fairladyz07.jpg

Hi BleachZee,

Your car would have come from the factory with the standard steel rims ( probably you still have an original spare in your spare wheel well ).

If it was an ordinary Fairlady Z ( the basic model ) it would not have had any wheeltrims / hubcaps, but if it was a Fairlady Z-L it would have had the first ( now very difficult to find ) design of hubcaps.

If your car had carpets ( instead of rubber mats ) and rubber trim on the bumper corners, it is probably a Z-L.

You should be able to find a set of steel wheels in the USA, I would have thought.

Good luck,

Alan T.

:beard:

Well, thanks for the reply but that's not what I wanted to hear! Plain steel wheels.. hmmm how boring.

Anyway, it does have the hard rubber corners on the bumper, but not a full rubber shield like your purple 240ZG has. (if that is your car) From what is left of the interrior I see only rubber mats. Maybe that was a replacement though. I'm thinking this might be the Z not a ZL from your description.

well then, maybe I'll just pick whatever wheel I want to. I was thinking of the aluminum 5-slot wheels you see on the back of the car or possibly these Enkei 15 inch mesh wheels I have on my other Z right now. I see a lot of fixed up Fairladys with wheels of this style.

gz23.jpg

I suppose I could throw on some steelies for a show just to be original. Thanks for the insight.

• 1 month later...