Am I too Rich or Lean? - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Am I too Rich or Lean?

Featured Replies

Unless something untoward happens, I'll be singing the praises of Pertronix for quite a while. The installation of that simple system literally woke-up my Z. Way-easier starting, revs to 7K without a hitch. I'm one VERY satisfied customer!

My first experience with Pertronix w/1.5 coil was not a good one - my second install with a 3.0 ohmn coil is great - hot coil and no issues at all.

  • Author

Thanks for the input, the engine rev's great and had been running perfect. I'll get someone to look into to tuning the carbs and check on the EI.

I think I'll do some searching on Pertronix problems.

Thanks again.

FWIW - I too have had problems with the Pertronix, including both the infamous problem above 4000 RPM, and also a complete failure of a 3.0Ω Pertronix coil.

But in the interest of full disclosure - I also had similar high RPM problems with a ZX dizzy, too.

I'll get someone to look into to tuning the carbs and check on the EI.

What is the reason for not wanting to sync the carbs yourself? Once the technique is understood it is a very simple procedure - even enjoyable. The DVD that Z-Therapy sells is an excellent self study course. I've been successfully tuning SU's since '84 and I still learned a lot from that DVD.

Here are two things I know to be true; 1) most mechanics do not know how (or do not take the time) to properly sync twin CV side-draft carbs, and 2) no one will take the time to get them right except for the person that has to drive the car.

With a review or two of the DVD and the hundreds of helpful hands here, you are assured success.

Some other food for thought - I always see posts about problems with various electronic ignitions, but not so much on the tractor-tech breaker point ignition. They simply work well because they are...well...simple.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Gary

Agreed.....I never had challenges with my point system - I upgraded to Protronix due to looking for a hotter spark. Never an issue with points for me and very easy to set/adjust/maintain.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.