IGNORED

air conditioning drain location

bob m

I bought an aftermarket air conditioner from a 73 240z and put it into my 72z. The unit is the typical one seen in older Zs. My question is where does the drain hose mount? There is a flapper looking piece that goes on the end of the drain hose, does it bolt to the frame or on the firewall?

Thanks

Bob M

post-2148-14150814818581_thumb.jpg

I bought an aftermarket air conditioner from a 73 240z and put it into my 72z. The unit is the typical one seen in older Zs. My question is where does the drain hose mount? There is a flapper looking piece that goes on the end of the drain hose, does it bolt to the frame or on the firewall?

Thanks

Bob M

Bob, I know that there was at least two different aftermarket evaporators, each with a different location of the drain tube fitting, that were used with the dealer installed airconditioning systems on the early 240z. I will try to attach a picture of one of the systems showing drain location.

Dan

I just helped remove the A/C from a friends car and the flapper drain hose was located just below the battery tray on the body box member's engine side (allowing the condensation to drain out to the ground).

FWIW

E

my early 74 has an aftermarket ac unit and it's drains from the evaporator coil comes from both sides of the coil's case, at the front using 1/2 inch tubing, and exit the passenger compartment on both sides of the transmission tunnel just rear of the firewall.

Thanks for the replies. EScalon gave me the information about the flapper placement I am looking for but I would like some clarification. The flapper is mounted under the battery tray on the box ??? Does it mount on the frame or firewall? The bottom of the flapper should probably extent below the body so the water does not drip on the body or frame but I am not clear on where it should attach

Thanks again for your replies

Bob M.

By the time I saw the flapper valve, the engine had already been removed and the front end / suspension was in the process of being removed.

The flapper valve was NOT mounted to the battery tray, but to the BOX FRAME of the BODY. This is the part of the body where the tie-rods (?) connect to and it eventually becomes the floor frame rails.

I vaguely recall that it had a clamp screwed to the body near the brake and fuel lines coming from the back and going to the front. Sorry, but I didn't get a real tight look at it and when we removed the interior A/C components, I was inside and my buddy was outside disassembling and removing the other components.

E

Thanks EScanlon and AZ 240z, your replies answered my question. I have the flapper with the clamp and hose adapter so I just need to bolt it to the frame. I used AZ 240z photo to locate the hole through the firewall.

Thanks

Bob M