New Problem!!! - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

New Problem!!!

Featured Replies

So, I haven't been on this forum in a few years but I'm glad to be back. I have a 72 240 with a 2.8 and a 5 speed. My diff is the stock 240 ( I believe its a 2.70) so my drive train is a bit of a "hybrid". On to the problem...

When I accelerate, or down shift, basically whenever there is torque on the drive train i hear a sharp "crack" and then some "scratch, scratch, scratch". coming from the rear passenger side

When I look under the car I don't see anything "odd" no metal wear. I'm wondering if its the needle bearings in the half shafts. But what is the "Crack" sound? I replaced the differential mount about 7 years ago so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm thinking about pulling everything from the drive shaft back and replacing it... big job... lots of time... grrrrrrr.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks, Matt-

Take a look at your U-Joints, starting with the passenger side and on from there. jlp

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.