Oil Filter Regulator - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Oil Filter Regulator

Featured Replies

I did an oil change on my Z the other day and noticed a spring sticking out next to the neck for my oil filter. It turns out that it was the internals for a ball valve that helps regulate the oil flow into the oil filter. Anyway the problem I'm having is getting the remains of the regulator out of the block. An extractor is too long and pick tools are too big. I was thinking of getting a bolt that fit and trying to get it out with that? Does anyone have experience with removing these and if so what.

What happened to the ball? I think that is your pressure relief valve, it comes in to play if your filter gets plugged up and won't flow enough oil.

I got curious and looked in the FSM. It says to pry it out with a screwdriver and install the new one by tapping it in. If you had the new one in hand, things might make sense.

Page EL-4.

Edited by Zed Head

  • Author

I do have the new one I'm trying to figure out how to remove the old one since all that is left is the outer shell, I've tried an extractor but there something at the end that prevents me from being able to fit it in all the way.

Just plug the hole with a pipe plug and forget it.

What Zforce said. You'll get full oil filtering with that one mod. It's covered in the 'Modify Your Nissan\Datsun' book. You need only keep up with oil and filter changes.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

get a pipe plug at home depot or what? Also part of the relief valve is still inside will that matter?

Edited by OniZ

get a pipe plug at home depot or what? Also part of the relief valve is still inside will that matter?

I doubt it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.