IGNORED

Starter Relay

IdahoKidd

I see a starter relay available on ebay for $15. Am I missing something? Doesn't the key signal the relay/bendix on the starter motor and all of the amperage goes directly from the battery to the starter and not through the switch? I am trying to figure out the benefit to this (looks like typical aftermarket relay)

The typical relays you see for add on lights, etc., are rated for 30A. If I was doing it, I would buy a relay socket, remove the wires that came with it and use new connectors (such as those sold at Vintage Connections) to wire the coil to the ignition switch. Then I would wire the solenoid to the contacts, using a fresh 12 VDC source off the battery and the rest of the existing wiring.

Without a link to the add, it's hard to say.

Our cars use a relay that's built into the starter. It's part of the solenoid unit that is replaceable without replacing the entire starter.

Fords use a relay that is separate of the starter and mounts on the inner fender panel. If I was going to use an external starting relay, I would use a Ford relay or one of that style.

Without a link to the add, it's hard to say.

Our cars use a relay that's built into the starter. It's part of the solenoid unit that is replaceable without replacing the entire starter.

Fords use a relay that is separate of the starter and mounts on the inner fender panel. If I was going to use an external starting relay, I would use a Ford relay or one of that style.

Good point. There's a search for that, too. :)

I know that the solenoid does most of the hard current work, but a relay triggering the solenoid does help. The ignition in my old toyota would send current to the solenoid, but it wasn't enough to actually trigger it. As soon as I added the relay it started every time.

The relay in this case doesn't power the starter itself...it triggers the solenoid.

here is the link, looks to light weight to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160541492878&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I hadn't heard of anyone doing "this" and not sure what it would serve

Leonard,

I saw the eBay ad before. Mind you, it's from the same guy selling the "turbo" engine seen in another thread. It's just a way for him to get a few bucks from an uneducated shopper. The same parts could be bought from Amazon for $11.13, and that's including S&H charges. I guess he believes his instructions are worth $13. Heck, if someone wants to do that, I will draw up instructions for free. Just PM me.

Anyway, the only explanation that comes to my mind is that it would reduce the voltage loss to the solenoid and prevent damage to the ignition switch from high current. I haven't seen any evidence of the latter happening in either of my Z cars, though I'll admit my sample size is extremely small.

I have purchased some small items from the seller, but only if I can't find it elsewhere. He was good about shipping the I bought, too. However, IMHO this is just a PT Barnum product.

The add states, "Simple way to eliminate premature wear and that annoying click click click on old Datsun starters."

It is not a necessary part. ATM our 73 is using the stock starter, key switch and wiring without any problems. When the solenoid (relay) on our starter failed, we put in a used starter we had and it starts just fine.

The click click sound is usually caused by a weak battery or a bad connection.

As I stated earlier, the solenoid (relay) is removable from the starter and replaceable.

My opinion: This is just more snake oil.

Not really Snake oil. The relay will just minimize the amperage that flows thru the ignition switch and wiring oll the way to the starter. And give a solid battery 12+ volts to the Solenoid, rather than the worn out voltage that has to travel thru the old wiring, switch and connectors.

As for the "Click Click Click" That is due to the worn contacts INSIDE the Solenoid, and the Relay upgrade will not fix this. If anything, is will only add to the problem. Just replace the Starter Solenoid if it starts to do this.

Dave