IGNORED

Engine dies when headlights are turned on

bavarian06

Hi Art, before cutting off the terminals, you might try cleaning them up with Deoxit and a brush. Check Radio Shack for the Deoxit, if they don't have it they should have a similar contact cleaner. An old toothbrush would work to scrub the terminal, but a brush with wire bristles would be better, check your local hardware store or Harbor Freight (if there is one near you). A little cleaning will go a long way.

Hi Art, before cutting off the terminals, you might try cleaning them up with Deoxit and a brush. Check Radio Shack for the Deoxit, if they don't have it they should have a similar contact cleaner. An old toothbrush would work to scrub the terminal, but a brush with wire bristles would be better, check your local hardware store or Harbor Freight (if there is one near you). A little cleaning will go a long way.

i have those brass and copper metal brushes. is it better i clean it up or just replace them entirely?

i noticed the wire itself started to turn green a little towards the end, like what happens to copper when its exposed to water or oxidized.

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone. after a long hiatus, i finally got to work on the car this weekend. i di-electric all the terminals and replaced some of the wiring.

when i first reconnected the battery i noticed none of the dome lights were on. i tried to crank the engine and absolutely nothing happened (thinking my battery drained some how). but sure enough, after leaving the key in the ON position for about 5mins, the engine finally started (what's the EE definition of this?).

i was so happy to hear to her fire up. i didnt get a chance to test the volts with the meter but i'll do that soon enough and report back.

dave,

is that the gauge thickness of the wires? 9.5mm? i used 8 gauge monster speaker wires as replacement (not sure if that was ok). the largest spade connectors i've located were 6.3mm.

Art,

Do you know how to use a multimeter? If so take voltage readings at your battery

1. when the car is off

2. after the car has been started

3. at 2000 RPMs

here are my readings:

1) 12 volts

2) 13 volts (my engine idles really low, near 600rpm)

3) 15 volts

so this means my alternator is ok yah?

that looks about right. Typically, the Alternator output, at the battery, should be around 14.5 at most. When an alternator starts to go out, you get 1 of 2 things, overly high output (15+ volts) which can and likely will fry the Voltage regulator) or they just drop out and quit working.

So 15 looks a bit high. Has it been pulled and tested at your local auto parts store?

Dave

14.4 is about perfect. So your alternator is doing it's job. Next!

When it comes to Datsun Electrical, I just use the basic "Process of Elimination"

Eliminate the obvious and move on down the line. Major parts first (Alternator, battery and cables, fusebox and switches) the move to connections, fusable links, etc, etc.

You'll get it. DEOXIT the connections and contacs, enlarge the Battery Cables to 4 gauge, Clean all your grounds and tighten them up, physically pull and replace fuses in question. You get the idea. That's how I learned what I know, from getting out there and doing the fun? stuff.

Dave

phew, crisis diverted. i'm happy to report back the car starts out without an issue now. been driving it daily for a week now, trying to gain my confidence back in the car.

nxt maintenance task is all the ignition wires, distribution cap and rotor, spark plugs.

14.4 is about perfect. So your alternator is doing it's job. Next!

When it comes to Datsun Electrical, I just use the basic "Process of Elimination"

Eliminate the obvious and move on down the line. Major parts first (Alternator, battery and cables, fusebox and switches) the move to connections, fusable links, etc, etc.

You'll get it. DEOXIT the connections and contacs, enlarge the Battery Cables to 4 gauge, Clean all your grounds and tighten them up, physically pull and replace fuses in question. You get the idea. That's how I learned what I know, from getting out there and doing the fun? stuff.

Dave