IGNORED

Buick 340 v8 swap

s14280zx

Has anyone ever used a Buick v8 for a swap? My uncle Tim Henderson passed away the week before Thanksgiving this year, and I was thinking since he was a Buick nut and was responsible for me having z-cars, I would like to build a z with his Buick 340 v-8 That was for his 66 skylark. He always tried to talk me into a v-8 swap, and I think it would be cool to build this z as a tribute to him. Would this be about the same as a chevy swap?

Similar in overal concept to a Chevy swap, but different in most details. I've never heard of this one being done in the past, but this isn't the Z-swap place. You might search on hybridz.org - someone there may have done it at some point.

But considering the ease and well-known process of the SBC swap, plus the easy access to the SBC engines themselves compared to the Buick, don't to too surprised if you end up blazing your own trail on this one.

Didn't the Skylark have an aluminum block V8?

There was a guy I saw somewhere who was trying to install a V8 from a Range Rover into his Z. I thought those engines were similar at one time. (Perhaps not so much today however...)

Anyway, G.M. used to have different transmissions for Chevy engines then everything else they made, so that could be an issue with putting a Buick engine in your Z. All the kits are made for the Chevrolet parts.

The Buick 215 had an aluminum block, aluminum heads & aluminum intake. IIRC, Range Rover bought the "rights" to it and used it in their vehicles. Great little V8 with a front mounted dizzy. I briefly considered the Buick 215 as the engine for my V8 swap project, but ultimately decided on an LT1...

I have the complete 340 engine and two speed tranny, along with a four-barrel intake. We took it out of a 4-door with 65000 miles on it. It started and ran good before taking it out. My uncle Tim had a few skylarks, and always took me and let me power brake in them. It would smoke the tires off until you couldn't see or breath. With those trannies, he could fly in reverse and slam it in low, and do j patches, and it never hurt the tranny.