IGNORED

MSA A pillar trim, header trim and headliner

kenz240z

Last weekend my buddy Mike (Pop's Z) stopped over to help me install the MSA A pillar trims and windshield header trim in my '71. It is definitely a 2 person job. We found it best to have one person inside the car to pull & stretch the vinyl and the other person outside the car to pull & fold the vinyl along the outside edge of the window weld flange and door weld flanges.

Fastening the vinyl to the inside weld flange with the pinch moulding takes a little practice. After a few initial tries, we got the hang of it and committed ourselves by spraying the foam and the vinyl with adhesive. Wick Humble's book on Z car restoration does a good job of describing the process for installing the trims and also the headliner.

A few nights later I installed the MSA headliner by myself. I started by taping the headliner into position to make sure it was centered and that there was enough material on all 4 sides to tuck under the A pillar/header trim edges and also the rear edge (where the dome light is).

I marked the center of the headliner at the front edge (where the rearview mirror will mount) and also at the rear edge (dome light opening) with pieces of tape. Then I sprayed a band of adhesive on the roof from front to back, about 3 or 4 inches wide. I sprayed a similar width on the backside of the headliner. After the adhesive tacked up I stuck the headliner to the roof starting at the front edge and smoothing it towards the rear edge. I double checked that the positioning was good by holding up the side "flaps" to insure the headliner was still centered.

Then I proceeded to adhere each of the "flaps". I did not spray adhesive on the outer edge, about an inch or so, as that amount of material gets tucked up under the edges. Once the headliner was adhered to the roof I began to tuck as much of the extra material up under the edges with my fingers. Then I used a plastic trim tool to finish tucking the edges. A plastic putty knife or a plastic "bondo" spreader would also work for this.

Here are a few photos:

post-6323-14150813065569_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813066157_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813066828_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813067523_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813068101_thumb.jpg

post-6323-1415081306876_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813069351_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813069936_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813070533_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813071102_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had problems with their headliner seperating? I put mine up 3 months ago and it just started drooping. I thought maybe I didn't use enough glue but when I checked it, the mesh that goes against the roof was still glued to the roof but the vinyl and foam were drooping. Was I supposed to take that mesh stuff off or is this liner just falling apart? MSA says they will send a new one which is cool that they stand behind thier products like that but did I screw it up or does it sound like its defective?

• 5 weeks later...

Just got the new headliner. Is the 3M heavy duty adhesive good to spray it with? Last time I, I sprayed the roof and the headliner then let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then put liner up. Was probably 70 degrees in garage.