IGNORED

Synchromesh worn out?

FastWoman

Any luck? Not yet. There's SNOW on the ground outside! Yeeeech! No, it will have to wait for warmer weather.

FAIW, I've recently acquired a Miata and am also active on a forum for that car. This same problem occurs in Miatas (also 2nd gear), and the solution seems to be Redline fluid. So I might try changing out for Redline first, as well as bleeding/flushing the clutch. If that doesn't work, then I'll probably dive into a rebuild.

FastWoman,

Many years ago, I pulled the 5-spd of my 1st '77 and had it repaired by an expert (broken synchro). I used a motorcycle lift to replace the tranny. Getting it out wasn't that bad but having it lay on top of me was a bit claustrophobic. I had two helpers but we had difficulty manipulating it, just decided to go in and act like a human dolly (hey, I was younger and dumber!). You are welcome to use the lift when you're ready, if you choose to go the self-reliance route.

Any luck? Not yet. There's SNOW on the ground outside! Yeeeech! No, it will have to wait for warmer weather.

FAIW, I've recently acquired a Miata and am also active on a forum for that car. This same problem occurs in Miatas (also 2nd gear), and the solution seems to be Redline fluid. So I might try changing out for Redline first, as well as bleeding/flushing the clutch. If that doesn't work, then I'll probably dive into a rebuild.

Can you shift the tranny without useing the clutch?

Like Steve said-match RPMs and don't use the clutch.If you can shift the trans without using the clutch and no "sounds" are heard from the box,your synchros are healthy and your problem lies elsewhere.

Edited by Z train

Oh, I didn't see the prior posts!

Willoughby, thanks! I might take you up on it. OTOH, I have a neighbor just down the street who restores a LOT of motorcycles. I bet he has one too.

Steve, that sounds like a pretty useful approach. I might be able to cobble something together from wood for just the one job. I'm thinking of something on the end of a plank. One end of the plank sits on the ground, the transmission is strapped to the other end, with shims to tilt the trannie as needed, and the transmission end is jacked in the air by an arm extending off the end.

But again, I'm waiting for warmer weather and will be trying Redline and a clutch bleed/flush first. ;)

Ztrain, that won't hurt my transmission, will it?!

Anyway, warmer weather! ;)

If you hear"no noises",nothing is being hurt.

If you do it right, it won't hurt your trans. If you do it like I did in my younger days...well you were already considering 'diving into a rebuild', right?:)

Yes,sir!LOL