IGNORED

Auto Meter Gauge Pics- Let's see 'em!

CoastGuardZ

Hey y'all! I've been away for a bit. Doing some stuff to my Frontier instead of taking care of my Z like I should. Lately I've been having some issues with the Water Temp/Oil PSI gauge combo... they only work when they want to... gauge light and all. Since I figure it's probably just a bad connection it's time to pull the dash. And since the dash is going to be out I figure I'll go ahead and do the dash crack repair. But maybe since the dash is going to be out now is the time to grab the Auto Meter gauges that I really want in my finished project... or at least figure out which gauges to get and how to install.

- I'm thinking Sport Comp or Sport Comp II... but haven't ruled out Pro Comp.

- Which gauges are electrical and which ones are mechanical?

- Which size to buy? 5" speedo and tach and 2 5/8" for the rest?

- I consider all 4 gauges in the center to be necessary and the clock is getting the boot... but that only leaves 3 holes for 4 gauges... where to put the 4th?

- Any words of wisdom for the install?

- Who's got pics? Post them up!

Thanks!

There are a number of good posts here and at HybridZ on Autometer gauges. Note that the Autometer fuel gauge will not read properly without calibrating it with some resistors. There are several posts dealing with the fuel gauge calibration at hybridZ.

Pictures will definetly follow.

All the searching that I've done yields bits n' pieces of info but nothing solid and all or mostly inclusive. I was really trying to use this thread as a vehicle for all things Auto Meter here at classiczcar.com but so far that's not working out so well. When I finally get around to the full Auto Meter install I'll be sure to write up an info/how to/compendeum since no one else is being forthcoming.

Check out Speedhut gauges. Much better and nicer looking than Autometers. They are all electric and the fuel gauge is programmable.

Here is my install: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/86127-my-speedhut-gauge-install/page__p__816745__hl__speedhut__fromsearch__1#entry816745

Hey Bo-

Nice install. Guess you had no need for climate controls? Neat placement for extra gauges. I would like to find a asthetically pleasing place for 1 more gauge and still keep the climate controls.

Checked out those gauges the other day... not really my style. They actually seem a little hard to read... too busy I think. I saw where someone had made a comment regarding Autometer v. Speedhut/Revolution gauges "some prefer vanilla, while others prefer chocolate". Well, I prefer mint chocolate chip, but if my options are between vanilla and chocolate then it's vanilla everytime.

Thanks!

Edited by CoastGuardZ

Nate,

Thank you. One of the benefits of living in Southern California is that you do not not need (or use) your heater that much. I have a turbo charged engine and need more than just the standard suite of gauges.

I understand that gauges are personal preference. You do realize that you can customize the gauges? Font type, type and color of lighting, face color, font color, bezel color, etc. are all customizable.

Mint chocolate chip is my personal favorite as well.