IGNORED

What I did today...engine install

kenz240z

Tonight I managed to drop the engine into my '71 240Z. I bought the car earlier this year as a stripped & primered shell with all the parts in boxes. It has been a challenge, as several parts were missing. Fortunately, most items I've been able to find in the rafters of my garage, other parts have come from salvage yard forays and then there is MSA and Black Dragon!

post-6323-14150812402069_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812402755_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812403405_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812404002_thumb.jpg

The engine paint is actually Chevrolet blue (Duplicolor DE1609). According to the previous owner, the engine was rebuilt. It is the original L24 that came in the car. Before installing the engine, I adjusted the valves and there is no wear on the cam. Everything I could see through the spark plug holes and intake/exhaust ports looks super clean, so I'm guessing the seller was honest about it. It sure doesn't look like the engine has been started yet. The PO spent close to 8K on the car, sandblasting & refinishing the suspension, engine rebuild and various parts, but never got it back together.

Very sweet. Maybe you'll get to drive it before Winter sets in hard. I love the color of the car. I also used the Duplicolor paints on my recent resto-mod. Your project sounds very similar to the one I just finished.

Edited by cygnusx1

The leveler sling helps to get the tranny & engine at a good angle. I also jacked up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands to help with clearance, too.

Here are a couple of shots of the car right after I first got it and a couple after I painted it. I simply wet the floor in the shop before I sprayed the car. I had a couple of exhaust fans with filters below the garage door to pull out the overspray. Wet sanding is underway and it is looking real good.

post-6323-14150812405212_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812405804_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812406391_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812406611_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...