IGNORED

'71 240z seats

Da Flash

The seats in my 240 were done!! so I got anothers set of re-upolstered seats from a guy put them together and installed them, they came out great except that the space between the seat cushion (where your butt goes) and the back support is about 1-1 1/2". This isn't too bad but, this is my 3rd 240 and I can't recall seeing a gap this big! Did Datsun make 2 different length connection brackets (what are those metal pieces called that hold the seats together??) Is there some other threaded holes on the sides of the seats that I missed??

Check the reclining mechanism on your seats.

The Early 71, and 70 had a knob that would allow the seat back to pivot and therefore "recline". Not a true recline as we've come to know. Additionally these did NOT allow you to pull a lever and bring the seat back forward to allow for easy access to the hatch area.

This style of seat did in fact have a gap between the seat back and seat cushion. How much depended on how the seat back upholstery was finished. That is, whether they used hog rings to leave a seam, or if they folded the back under the front and then either hog ringed or stapled. The first method leaves a raised seam similar to the flange when two sheets of metal are spot welded together. The second method eliminates that flange which increases that space by about 1/2" to 3/4".

Please note that these are my observations and not something I looked up in a book.

The seat back mechanism on the late 71's and upwards now had a true reclining and forward tilt mechanism. I don't know if this affected the height of the seat back compared to the early 71's but it may have. The main problem with this newer style is the availability of the cover for the mechanism. These were prone to breaking off and many times were simply lost and never replaced. NOS of these have sold for as much as $80 for the pair.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Mr. Scanlon, as with the "cigarette lighter" problem I had, you came up with the answer. I guess it's just the way my pal reupolstered the seats, it's kinda funny that I can't just throw my cell phone or, other junk in my passenger seat anymore without it sliding behind the seat but, it beats the hell out of driving around on a cut up milk crate!!

• 1 month later...

It depends on the year of your z 69,70,71 and I believe 72 had adifferent mechanism. The back part of the seat was adjustable back and forth. Thats why the space is alot smaller. I believe the 73 had the seat with the small lever to adjust the seat back instead of the dial' The back of the seat adjusted all the way forward. It sounds as if the seats that were put in your car are not the correct year. Look on the side of the seat and you will see a seat mechanism. There are covers that screw over the mechanism. If you don't have them I happen to have maybe the only brand new pair in the original nissan packaging on the planet. I bought them on ebay for $100.00. I don't need them now. If Iam correct and you have those seats without the covers and you want originality and safety let me know. The covers were there so you don't get your fingers stuck in the mechanism and also it covered up the ugly mechanism. The seats you have have a much bigger space between the seat cushion and the back if I'm not mistaken.

regards burt cardogman1