IGNORED

ZX Distributor in a 240Z - Do I have the right parts?

timhypo

So, I won this thing off eBay for $53 shipped and was hoping to use it to upgrade my '72 240Z to electronic ignition and a MUCH hotter spark. It's supposedly off an '81, so I expected an E12-92 module, but to my delight, it came with an E12-80. It also turns smoothly and the vacuum advance seems to work. Besides the E12-80, the other thing that the page I've been using as reference on datsunzgarage.com (http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/index.htm) says that I need is an L28 Distributor Base. It says that MSA used to sell them, but of course, I don't see em anywhere. Here's what I have and I'm hoping the piece on the bottom of the Dizzy is what I need to mount it. Is there anything else? I know I need a coil. Can I run an aftermarket 'hot rod' coil or should I order a ZX coil?

280ZXDistributor1.jpg

280ZXDistributor2.jpg

To make this work use the mount from the ZX that bolts to the block and your Dist connects to. You don't need any special coil just the one for a ZX. I have made this mod 9 years ago and you are on the right track. You see you don't use the resister any more. You feed 12 volts to the coil. I have a good friend that owns a Z shop and has been building these cars for 30+ years. He told me that the super coils will fry the module [ 12-80] on the side of the dist. I ran this same Dist on my L-24 and it was a good mod. Now I am running the same Dist on the ZX engine in my same 240Z.

If you use the 240 mount you won't be able to time your engine properly. By the way if you find a Maxama with a in line engine the Dist and mount is what you need . Check the Bone yards. I have a couple of the things but all my stuff is packed . We are moving, sorry.

Gary

Edited by beandip

Actually, Datsuns are oddly missing from my local junkyards. I also build older cars, currently have a '58 Olds, a '51 Ford F1, and a Model A hotrod, so I have a pretty good number of junkyards and haven't seen a ZX in one. I think most of them have been crushed with the high steel prices a few years back.

I should be able to make one, right? It's just a sleeve with two ears, once slotted for timing adjustments, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I should have the distributor base tonight. I wanted to take this opportunity to let you all know that The Z Barn is EXCELLENT. Roger was quick, easy to deal with, and incredibly reasonably-priced on a part he could have gouged me on. I got the base for $15 shipped. Add a $20 coil and my total will $88 for a conversion to electronic ignition. We're due for a weekend of sun and low-80s, so I'm gonna take the opportunity to finish my fuel-pump install, add electronic ignition, and put the 240z back on the road. It's gonna rule...