IGNORED

240z Full Brake Upgrade

N4SOCCER06

Hey all,

I know this topic has been covers a ton of times. In trying to read most (not all) of them I haven't come across what I was thinking about. I guess I am trying to think outside the box and be different then what most are doing.

What about using the brake setup from a 93-95 Mazda RX-7. They have been used in a few other setups.

Here are some of the benefits I can think of:

Fronts - 4 piston

Rear - 2 piston

Both are AL (much light then 4x4 upgrade)

Aren't very hard to find

Can be bought brand new for pretty cheap

The other main thing I can think of that will need to be made is a bracket to hold them. I'm sure I am making this easier then it actually will be.

What are some concerns that you guys can think of?

• 1 month later...

As John mentioned there is the hydraulics thing. When I installed Toyota 4x4 calipers on the front of my 240Z I had to also consider that they require a larger volume of hydraulic fluid. The stock MC is not matched volume-wise to the Toyota calipers which results in longer brake pedal travel. In this case the recommened solution is to replace the stock MC with a 1979 280ZX MC which is a direct bolt on, but does require some adjustment of the push rod lenghth to work with the 240Z booster. The 280ZX MC gives the right pedal travel, but with a little more brake effort required due to the larger piston in the 280ZX MC. It is all about balancing the system as you make changes.

Currently, I have the Modern Motorsports (MM) Toyota 4x4 calipers with 300zx vented rotors on the front and MM 240SX disk set up on the rear. These modifications eliminated the brake fade I experienced with the stock brakes and the hassle of adjusting the rear drum brakes. For street driving they are adequate.

There are pros and cons to all of the various brake mods. Do lots of research before making changes as there can be unintended consequences when modifying a brake system. There is a lot of good information here, HybridZ and many websites that deal with 240Z brake mods.

MSA, Modern Motorsports (Canada) and Arizona Z Car sell brake upgrade kits.