IGNORED

Two problems i can't figure out ?

kjphilippona

Hi all, i have two problems i just can't put my finger on to solve,

1. I have an electrical problem, it first raised it's ugly head ( about a year ago ) when i stalled the car at a busy red light, nothing happened when i turned the ignition switch ( like a dead battery ). i did not find anything loose or disconnected, i wiggled the pos and neg cables to the starter and she started right up. No problems until yesterday, same thing at a traffic light on my way to help out my mom, stalled her out and had to do the same thing to get it started. I loosened all connections at starter and battery, sprayed a little wd40 on the connections and tightened everything up. No go, it seems to be the neg cable at the battery is giving me the problem. I did a little test, turned the under hood inspection light on, turned the ignition switch car did not start only click, inspection light went out. Wiggled the neg bat cable and light came on again. i also noticed one time a slight puff of smoke come from the neg terminal of battery. I think i need to replace the cables, but all replacement cables i find only have one wire, mine have two coming out of the terminal.

2. I have a slight leak of antifreeze coming from around my radiator cap. The radiator is only a couple years old and the cap is new.

post-20308-14150811872632_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150811873388_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjphilippona

KJP, yeah, it sounds like a bad ground cable (particularly with the puff of smoke). It's probably corroded inside the insulation. You can always install a cable with a universal end, and that would give you a means to attach the second ground wire.

As Sarah pointed out, it sounds as though your cable has INTERNAL corrosion where the cables enter it.

You can either buy a pre-made cable at most parts stores, or make your own. They also have them with the Accessory lead you're mentioning (2nd wire).

E

Regarding the coolant on the radiator:

Best guesses:

1) The radiator cap is leaking

- A radiator cap should be cheap to replace. Check the rubber and replace it if it looks dried and cracked.

2) The radiator is leaking at the water neck

- If the radiator is in good shape (not rotten or plugged), the neck can be re-soldered by any competent radiator shop.

If the radiator is in bad shape then just replace it. Check prices at Radiatorbarn.com. So far I have had very good luck with them.

Thanks, i decided to make my own positive cable. I will take the car to a radiator shop and have them take a look at it. The radiator is almost new, my dad replaced it a few years ago and the cap in new. Ran into another problem, the brass post on the starter that the battery cable connects to , is stripped :cry: can this be replaced without removing the starter ?