IGNORED

What to choose?

Chicken man

Hi, I'm pretty new to the car scene and have yet to buy my first car and then wait two years to drive it but I've narrowed the choices down. I'm either going to pick the Datsun 240z or the 280z but don't have my mind straight on either one yet. I plan on buying one in fair condition and rebuilding the engine with an older friend who owns a 300zx and swapping everything out for more current models to ensure driving quality. But what are the pro's and con's of each car. I've heard the the 280 is heavier while the 240 is lighter and smoother to drive. Just give me a big pros and cons list of each car while being realistic, thanks.

Choosing between a 240 or 280 really comes down to a few simple things. On the exterior you have a difference in bumpers and marker/turn/brake lights. On the interior there are some slight differences in materials and layout. The big difference is in the engine compartment and below the body - the drive train.

Neither is "better" then the other, but they are different enough that they have a different audience.

If you are going to be stuffing big horse power into the car, go with a 280. It's structure is a bit more stout and most importantly, you wont be screwing with a 240 :)

The quick answer is that it doesn't matter. Buy the S30 with the best body you can find and be happy with your purchase. Body condition means far more than model within the S30s. Look at SRBigButt's post about Jalopnik. He has a 280 with 240 bumpers. It has the features of a 280 with the look of a 240.

I've owned close to every year S30 and they each have their good and bad points. The early cars are lighter and simpler, but provide almost no crash protection even at low speed. The later cars have nicer interiors and will at least survive a parking lot bump, but they are heavy and more complex. The 260 is a nice mix, but finding the correct parts can get very frustrating. There is an early 260 and a late 260 which have some common parts and some that are non-interchangeable. You have to know Z cars pretty well before a 260 should be considered IMHO.

If I do get one (which I hopefully will) I want it to look just like yours Gary because it's practically has the same look the Devil Z had in the japanese racing movie called Wangan midnight. I'm planning on getting 5,000 dollars next summer working part time somewhere and spend it towards the car. I'll spend around 3,000 on it the the rest for tuning it up but I'm wondering how much a twin turbo engine would cost me?

I think I'm going to find similar bumpers and get a 280 and swap them out. When I said swap out earlier I meant put in after market brakes and possibly suspension parts just to help with the driving.

Edited by Chicken man
to not double post