IGNORED

I think its time to take on the Webers

Mikez73

I've been stalling. I made a post about the parts in the service kit before but the answers were iffy. One problem is the nomenclature or terminology. Parts go by different names with people and even vary from parts list to repair manual.

The spring: it's the internal throttle return spring?

And two small metal washers...I think they are part# 49 in the diagram but called (pump jet) gaskets instead of o-rings?

And finally...there are 7 small o-rings and 2 larger ones. I know there is one for each idle mixture screw and one for each pump jet and two for the throttle spindle. I won't be using those if I have to disassemble the throttle to replace them.

I can't find any more o-rings in the parts list or my manual. yetterben said progression port screws. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. but no harm in asking. Seems like the vendors would label the parts but I guess their take is that if you're using one of their service kits you should already know what the parts are. They may be right but still :D

Copy_of_serv-kit.jpg

Copy_of_weber.jpg

I know I'm playing with fire here. If nothing else wish me luck :cool:

Mike

Are you having a problem or are you just performing preventative maintenance? Nowhere in your post do you describe your symptoms. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the fuel and air passages so just take off one carburettor at a time and replace the grommet or other part as you get to it. If you get to a chamber and you have no corresponding replacement part close that chamber up and move on to the next chamber. With the exploded view you have your only issue should be getting the proper adjustment on everything once you finish. My suggestion for that is to count the turns on all the screws as you undo them and then go back in with as many turns! et viola. After that it's just a matter of fine adjustment. Good Luck!

There is fuel leakage out the front. It also runs very rich but I'm not sure if that's an adjustment problem or a jet size problem. Basically I was hoping someone had done this recently and could remember where the parts went. Also I was hoping someone could verify that I have all the parts in the pic of my carb labeled correctly.

The carbs actually function just fine. The idle is ok and acceleration is smooth and responsive.

I'll count the turns and make a lot of notes and snap a few pics and hopefully the carbs will still work as well as they do now. If I get the floats set well and get the hang of using a synchrometer...maybe the carbs will work well and I'll eliminate the rich condition. Thanks!

First snag...there is no "gasket" on the needle valve of the first carb I opened up. I'm going to check the needle valve on one of the other carbs. I'm guessing it's the copper gasket below the pump washers in the top pic. Also the aux venturis in the carb nearest the firewall are a little melty ;) What are those...30 bux each? Ouch...

Carbs are done. Two aux venturis were well done. Pretty easy really. Had some o-rings and a washer/gasket left over but there were no matching parts in my carbs. They may be for the starter circuits or the spindles. Still need to set the floats and spiff the bodies up a bit.

Anybody have a couple of aux venturis laying around?

http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/web_pages/Mike88se/images/240/webers.htm

08-04-10_002.jpg

They look a tad melty indeed. These are DCOE 45 carbs? Webcon lists part number 69602.450 for the venturis:

http://www.webcon.co.uk/weber/45dcoe.htm#17

Here are two shops who offer the venturis as a spare part for $24-$25 each:

http://www.carburetion.com/weber/weberventuri.asp

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/69602.450.htm

Thanks for looking out for me Adrian but I got it covered ;)

I've got 40's.

I bought the parts from Pierce. They sent a newer version that uses a set screw. I didn't want to go to the trouble of ordering screws, drilling, etc so

I modified the new venturi's to use the springs from my old ones.

http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/web_pages/Mike88se/images/240/webers2.htm

I hadn't planned to post here anymore but for you... :cool: