IGNORED

Springs

260zinsd

What did you use to cut them?Thanks

Small 4 1/2" Makita Angle grinder. First cut at 45 degree angle at 1.5 coils. Second cut in middle of 1.5 coil so it can be removed. Wear eye protection and gloves.

Did this only to front, stock springs. The rears are stock, 39 years old and sag. I did this so the front would match the rear sag.

Edited by motorman7

Great.

I tried spring clamps and clamped 3 together.. It did nothing...Ummm.

Small 4 1/2" Makita Angle grinder. First cut at 45 degree angle at 1.5 coils. Second cut in middle of 1.5 coil so it can be removed. Wear eye protection and gloves.

Did this only to front, stock springs. The rears are stock, 39 years old and sag. I did this so the front would match the rear sag.

if all this sounds like something you dont want to do,

go to a junk yard, find a 240z and take all of the strut insulator mounts off of them and install them on your car. if i rememebr right the 240z strut insulator mounts are 3/4 to 1" shorter then yours (i know for a fact they are shorter then 280z's)

this will lower your ride hight without screwing with suspension strength or reliability.

the strut mount insulators are the top pieces that hold the spring down and mount to the top of the strut insert (shock) and mount the whole strut to your car. they have 3 studs at the top of the them and look like the one in the picture.

the picture shows how smaller they are. left is 240z right is 260/280z

post-22033-14150811541596_thumb.jpg

Thanks....

to take off it's just the three screws on top?

if all this sounds like something you dont want to do,

go to a junk yard, find a 240z and take all of the strut insulator mounts off of them and install them on your car. if i rememebr right the 240z strut insulator mounts are 3/4 to 1" shorter then yours (i know for a fact they are shorter then 280z's)

this will lower your ride hight without screwing with suspension strength or reliability.

the strut mount insulators are the top pieces that hold the spring down and mount to the top of the strut insert (shock) and mount the whole strut to your car. they have 3 studs at the top of the them and look like the one in the picture.

the picture shows how smaller they are. left is 240z right is 260/280z

thats correct. you WILL need to rent a spring compressor to take those off from the struts once dissconnected from the car.

autozone and checkers auto will rent you a spring compressor for around 50 bucks for 90 days and once you are done with it, return it and they give you your 50 bucks back in full. no intrest.

this in my opinion is the best way to lower a datson without wanting to replace the springs with stiffer lowering springs witch will need stiffer strut inserts.