IGNORED

rear wheel rotationial braking noise

madkaw

I finally got the car out and drove it around after sitting around years during resto. I have some issues right off the bat with my WILDWOOD brakes. I have a front end shimmy like a warped rotor and I have a knocking noise from the rear. I have to do more investigating, but I did find the front left bearing was loose and i tightened it-yet to test drive. Could or would a loose bearing cause the same symptoms as a warped rotor?

In the same line of questions-would a loose rear wheel bearing cause the same thing? I can rock the rear wheel at the 6 and 12 oclock position and get a very small amount of play. The bearings were replaced, but i question whether I got enough torque on the bearings. The noise from the rear is almost like the rotor or pad is contacting something under braking. I've have pushed and pulled on everything under there, but the wheel is the only thing that has play.

What did you torque the Axel nut too? Book says 200 Lb+. If there is play and you did torque them correctly , was there a shim that may have been left out?? Either by you or the PO? Not all use shims but some were used at the factory.

On the front end, check that the calipers are working properly. If not you may find that the pads are not wearing equally on both sides of the rotor . I had such a thing on my 240 and changed calipers and the slight shimmy while braking went away. One thing in checking for shimmy is to lift the front and loosen the lug nuts and re-tighten them with the tire off the ground. Set her back down and torque to spec. Some wheels need this to properly align them selves. Worth a try.