IGNORED

MSA exhaust questions

OhDearAudrey

Hey guys, new here + first post :laugh:

I was thinking of getting new exhaust + header for my 77 280 for a better sound and to reduce some of the noxious fumes filtering into the car from the stock rusty exhaust.

I was looking at a 3-2 MSA header into twice pipes, does anyone have this set up, how hard was it to install, how does it sound and what do you think of it after having it for a while?

Or the 6 - 1 header and 2.5 pipes to a muffler, what are the advantages to this vs. the 3-2 and twice pipes set up / disadvantages?

Thanks for any feedback and nice to meet you all!

iv got this set up and man does it make all the difference. the car sounds amazing. iv got a 73 and it makes the car have a v8 kinda of sound. spend the extra money and get the one thats not gonna rust. i got mine on and with in a week it was all rusty besides the tips.

I suspect your installation of a new exhaust system will not solve your fume problem. It may help, but doubt if you'll see any significant improvement.

Check all of your rear rubber seals, i.e. hatch, taillights, etc. Replace them if they are the slightest bit brittle. That will probably help more than anything.

AND don't forget the inner gear shift shaft boot cover. It's underneath the leather cover that has the shoe string ties. Thats the main culpret too that alone was 100% of my issue till replaced. All it takes is one crack and you got fumes coming straight out the trans tunel.

Edited by WingZr0

I checked all my seals, (not the shift boot, thats a great tip, that i would have never figured out myself) they all look fine, i think i hear the 'ticking' described in another thread as a bad gasket / seal at the header.

Anyway back on topic, after reading over numerous threads, the majority vote seems to be they sound great, and are a pain to install. So i'm going to take it to a shop, my next question is, is it cheaper to buy the twice pipes kit and a 3 - 2 muffler take it to a shop have them weld and bend it all to make it fit, or just buy the header and have them make the rest. I've never dealt with a muffler / exhaust shop before. How much would each option cost roughly so i know what to look for when shopping around. Which one is better performance wise? ( I tried looking this up but all i could find was a lot of debates on twice pipes vs single pipes vs TRUE twice pipes etc. but no real answer)

On a side note if i do go with MSA's kit, the header gives me a choice of stock or 2.5" adapter, which one is the twice pipes, if i got a shop to make one, which one should i get.

Also, thanks for all the replys, much better then other Z forums i frequent and have to wait days for responses, and then they act like i am a moron. So thanks!

On a side note if i do go with MSA's kit, the header gives me a choice of stock or 2.5" adapter, which one is the twice pipes, if i got a shop to make one, which one should i get.

It depends. How do you drive your car?

As a general rule of thumb, a larger diameter exhaust flows better at high rpm, but at the expense of low rpm torque. A smaller diameter exhaust provides good scavenging at low rpm, but becomes the bottle neck to power at high rpm.

For those reasons, there isn't a "best" size. For a street car, somewhere between 2.0 and 2.5 will work well on a stock Z motor. If you like to find opportunities to drive at WOT, get the larger exhaust. If you drive below 4000 rpm, with the occasional trip beyond 4000, get something smaller.

How do you drive?

i bought the twice pipes a couple months ago, it cost me another 250 to get it to fit snug. im not very impressed with it. its very annoying at freeway speeds and the neighbors complain in the morning,LOL. id go with the turbo setup if i were to do it again

I have a twice-pipes set-up on "Old Gold." 1 3/4 each pipe all the way back. It's loud if you mash the gas hard, soft and burbley if you just feather it out. Muffled with some sort of straight-through "glas-pak" hung mid-car, it's relatively quiet until you stand on it. I have had no complaints from the neighbors, no tickets for noise out on the town. However, when I get on it up into the higher rev ranges, I've been told it sounds like some sort of sports bike, only more masculine.

I'm well pleased with the performance and sound of my set-up.