IGNORED

240z SU Carb Tuning?

Triple G'Z

MLC240Z: You are probably right but Oregon is too far away. I'm better off finding someone in Boston. I'm picking up my Z tomorrow. I replaced my original differential with a used one that will have new seals and bearings. Also replaced the six u-joints and the mustache bar bushings (rubber). I am anxious to see if my ride is smoother. I hope so. Arne is right. Don't mess with the carbs and you will be happy.

Send the carbs to ZTherapy. They are the true experts. I highly doubt you will get quality work done anyplace else. I would guess virtually every member on the board would agree with that.

Thanks Everyone! You have talked me into sticking with the L28 motor. Thanks for the advise on Ztherapy.com. On another note: Does anyone know where I can find the plastic wheel wells for a 71 240? When I acquired the car they were missing and I cannot find them anywhere online. Also, I have all the original gauges but they are in rough shape ( Backing cracked and haven't been in operation for many years. Car hasn't been driven for atleast 10 years.) Would it be better to try and recondition the factory gauges or just go with Auto Meter. Any suggestions as to where to find gauge overlays or replacement parts? Thanks again for all of your help!

MLC240Z: You are probably right but Oregon is too far away. I'm better off finding someone in Boston. I'm picking up my Z tomorrow. I replaced my original differential with a used one that will have new seals and bearings. Also replaced the six u-joints and the mustache bar bushings (rubber). I am anxious to see if my ride is smoother. I hope so. Arne is right. Don't mess with the carbs and you will be happy.

Oregon is too far away for what? I'm assuming you are thinking it'll be duck soup finding someone in the Boston area that can duplicate our work? Let me know how you make out with that.......

Seriously though, Just to clarify, an order of our reman carbs comes with the DVD that will cover installation and tuning of the carbs. If one is mechanical at all it's a very straight forward deal. Just requires a little mechanical savvy.

Bruce: I believe that I am being misunderstood. First, my Zcar is running fine and does not need the carbs to be refurbished. If they did I would certainly send them to you based upon everyone's else's excellent experience with your company's work. What I meant to say was that I do not trust myself to do all of the work as I am not set up to remove and reinstall the carbs and then retune the vehicle. I learned long ago to leave any work related to the engine compartment to competent mechanics. That is why my Zcar still runs fine after 39 years.

Again, the DVD will take you a long way toward removing the "Mystery of SUs" even if you leave your hands in your pockets like you have been. ;)

What we are seeing around the country is the fact that the mechanics who worked on SUs in their day have retired and gone to the house. Today's mechanics are by and large "component changers" knowing nothing much of this Flintstone technology. Hence the DVD full of "how to" info.

Let us know if we can help. Off to the autocross.

Not off-topic and a little late but.......

I finally got me a set of New ZT SU's from ZTherapy and I'm absolutely in love with them. They are Beautiful, clean, smooth pedal action, responsive, and most importantly, Issue Free!!!

A little choke in the mornings and they fire to life. Having a rebuilt motor might be a small advantage on my part but I'm sure they would work the same on my old tired motor that is now on a stand.

Bruce and Steve are in the business of keeping customers happy and I don't see that changing any time soon, as I'll likely be happy with their products and service for a long time to come.

Thanks again guys.. You Rock!!

Dave