IGNORED

Electric Power Steering for S30

It might work, if you can get the motion controller for the power steering system, and make it work without the rest of the computer system from the G35.

Most "electric power steering" systems actually use a manual rack and pinion steering rack with a servo motor to "boost" the steering mounted under the dash. Like any servo system however there is a motion controller somewhere to control the motor.

The only two concerns that I have are:

1. Can the motion controller be made to work independently of the original car's computer?

2. Does the S30 have the electrical power to run this unit?

(The servo motors for electric power steering typically have a high power requirement.)

i cant imagine how lite the steering would be at speed.. i mean the only time its hard to move is when you are going REALLY Slow and trying to park or something.. once your going over lets say 3mph you dont need it at all.

Unless you're running super wide front tires, I just can't see why you would want it. No offence and please don't take this the wrong way but if you really want power steering in a sports car, maybe you're driving the wrong car. These things are rediculously easy to steer above 5mph and you actually WANT a heavier steer at higher speeds. I can just see it now.... you're at 70mph, you sneeze and end up 3 lanes over, hopefully NOT taking out a family of 5 in the process.

Great Idea, but not in a 240Z.

JMHO

Dave

i cant imagine how lite the steering would be at speed..

Great Idea, but not in a 240Z.

JMHO

Dave

Properly applied you would never know the difference. It is the "proper application" part that causes me concern. There will be a lot more involved in installing one of these systems than just bolting it in and hooking up the motor.

In principal the electric steering assists work by monitoring steering wheel torque and trying to keep it within some range. Generally the motor drives a worm gear that is spring centered and rides on a spline. When you turn the wheel you "push" the worm gear in one direction, and the motor turns the worm gear to bring it back to center. (An over simplification I am sure.) However the control systems typically are speed sensitive, meaning they need an input from the anti-lock brake controller, or some other system that knows the vehicle speed. Some may need to know engine speed as well.

Many newer front wheel drive vehicles use the electrical power steering to "neutralize" torque steer.

Consider the full implications of that sentence before trying this.