IGNORED

1978 280Z Restoration

My name is Dan. I'm 47 years old and live in Maryville,TN. I bought a 280Z about 4 months ago. It was pretty sound over-all but had rust in all the usual places. I pretty much gutted the interior. I have the car at Funkytown Customs right now getting the rust areas repaired Funston has all the panels off the car and the windows out. He is going to strip all the paint and re-paint it with Dupont Acrylic enamal. I live in the same town as Roger, who owns the Zbarn. I have gotten quite a few things from him at a really good price. He's been very helpful. I have been shopping aroun for weeks on the internet for a molded carpet kit. Everyone seems to have different opinions about where to by these kits. I pretty well have it narrowed it down to "Stock interiors", MSA or Z specialties (Zman). I would appreciate any of your suggestions.

Dan-

Welcome to the site - I visited Roger last month and picked up some odds and ends - I live in Boone NC, just a few hours from you. Good luck on your project. There is a ton of info and very knowledgeable folks on this forum and site. The search feature has helped me out of several challanges as I'm sure it will assist you was well. Post some pictures when you get a chance during your refresh.

One notation - we get a discount from MSA being members of the site. Be sure to let them know - the discount varies per part but the average is about 10%.;)

Edited by Travel'n Man

Thanks alot for the advise guys. I read all of the posts that I could find on carpet but most of them went quite a few years back. I wasn't sure whether any of the kits have improved over the years. Some people complained about the jute backing being inferior to stock from MSA. Is MSA molded carpet made by ACC like many of the others or do they have their own supplier? Thanks for the help.

Dan-

When I refreshed my interior I did not use the jute insulation - I was trying to keep the noise level and the temp down.........below are two products you may want to review. I used both of them - first the Dynama Xtreme and then the Black Dragon Insulation on top of that and then the carpet kit for the 240's. I bought (and have in storage the vinyl kit) but liked the carpet becuase it was just a little more modern.

The Dynamat can be used in your doors - between the roof and your headliner - inside your rear quarter panels - transmission tunnel, ..... well, you get the idea.

http://www.amazon.com/10455-Dynamat-Xtreme-Bulk-Pack/dp/B000SBLGU4

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=78

Hello Dan,

You and I are the same age and we both live in the Southeast and I bought my Z in Nashville, TN. Please say hello to Roger becuse he has been of GREAT Help to me he is a super guy, I even went by to see him in "06". I'm just about through the restoration of my 78 280Z. I went with the Dynamat on my car it seems to work well. I totally strip this car down to the shell and restored it from the bottom up new rocker panels, capped the frame rails, you name it I have probably done it on this car, even down to the point of to restore the dash. It has taken 2.5 years but it is now a beatutiful example of a 280.

I wish you well and if you need help the guys here can help you they are GREAT and I can assist if you need. I wish you well on your journey, just keep your eyes on the goal and enjoy the Ride.