IGNORED

Zeus88 (new member)

Don't really know where to start:stupid:, well how about what got me here...My 21 yr old son calls me from Oh and ask me to find him a good HB, He knows there good trucks from me owning two 86.5 in the past. I Found an 88 ext cab w/Z24 motor which by the way I feel it to be a very strong engine, Well only problem is the owner had tranny problems and pulled the tranny down and took it all apart and he really did not know what he was doing. Now I had two options either put it back together(never done but I been blessed in being very mechanical incline and been working on cars since I was 17, I'm 45 now by the way) the only thing is I notice some of the gears are alittle shot and case was leaking from what seems to be fracture crack, the other is getting another trans which out of 6 local salvage yards not 1 had any HB. That brings me back to how I got here, thought about rebuilding it and wanted to find out everything possibly about the 5w71c and out of all forums the Zcar is top for info. I want to thank Mike and all that have contributed to it, I'm also sorry if I don't make since or seem to ramble but its nearly 1200 am my time and its been a long day...I would like to tell you'll a true story that I tell anyone who asked me my opinion on the Nissan HB,liked I stated earlier I have owed 2 86.5 HB, One I bought in CA while station in the NTC (army post) in 1994 drove it to KS then down to GA, sold it in 97, Then in 99 I in 99 I left the army and started working for the local cable Co as a contractor, I had to purchased a truck, I found the second 86.5 for $300 pulled head had reworked and to be on safe side I replaced timing chain & gears along with water pump and a few other parts, after 6 months or so a friend asked if I could pulled he's Mazda 2200 truck to Colorado via Chicago, seeing that I got family in Chicago I took the challenge, pulled the Mazda from Columbus Ga to Chicago to Colorado then drove back home needless to say that the only thing that stop working on my HB was the speedo which quit showing 450000 miles on it. That there made me a True Old HB's.:cool: By he way here a few pics of the soon to be my son's 88 HB. Trying to upload pic's, sorry if it don't work

I'm not sure I understand your question but I recognize the transmission number from years of posting at z31 boards. First generation 300zx non-turbo models used the 5w71c. So did a lot of other Nissan's. I'm sure there are minor differences (gearing) and maybe major differences (bellhousing) between models. Shouldn't be hard to find a replacement case. If you just need rebuild parts here's a good source:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan_f5w71_overhaul_kit.html

And if you want to upload a pic then click on that paperclip thing up above just east of the white smileyface. A window will pop up giving you options to browse your computer for the pic(s) you want to show. Once you choose the pic be sure to click on "attach" or it may be "upload" here at this forum...

Edited by Mikez73

wow, still going with no sleep (1 yr old grand-baby kept me up..LOL since she's asleep next to me) Anyway I notice that your Zcar is 99.9 about Zcars :stupid: which is cool, just my get the bug to start a project just like Ive done in the past with the notorious RX7 Rotary engines.. Now to my question, do you still have the 5 speed and if so I would like to try to get if it will fit the 88 HB? again sorry if I sound like I'm rambling but lacking alittle sleep..LOL maybe after I get so sleep I'll try again and hopefully make some sense.. Thank you Mike

zeus88, I don't have a z31 tranny. I was just trying to help you out with a little more info. Both my z31's were turbo...one had the T5 and the other had a 30A so I don't know much about the 5w71c. If you want to find out more about the z31 5w71c try posting at http://88hybrid.com/ . The guys there are pretty cool and there are a few from GA that may be able to help you out. I'm sure the gears would be taller and the bellhousing would be different.