IGNORED

Tie rod

Pomorza

Hey guys

This past weekend I had the Z in the air to check the brakes. While there I noticed that the right tire has a bit of play in it. When I pull it the tie rod seems to have play in it also. Have noticed when driving that the steering wheel will shake at speeds above 45 mph. I do need new tires as the ones I have are not really round anymore (I swear they look oval) but should there be any play in the front wheels?

Where would one go about getting a new tie rod if it is necessary?

Jan

Thanks

Jan

It is not as simple as a tie rod end. there is a inner tie rod end that you must consider. It lies under the rubber boot on the passenger side out by the end of the steering rack. This could be the cause of the looseness. Nissan still has them the last time I checked for around $80.00 . The only way that they sell them is the whole assembly. Inner and outer tie rod. I tried to find a inner end at several different aftermarket outlets with no Joy.

Gary

Thanks

Jan

It is not as simple as a tie rod end. there is a inner tie rod end that you must consider. It lies under the rubber boot on the passenger side out by the end of the steering rack. This could be the cause of the looseness. Nissan still has them the last time I checked for around $80.00 . The only way that they sell them is the whole assembly. Inner and outer tie rod. I tried to find a inner end at several different after market outlets with no Joy.

Gary

I have had read good luck with Rockauto.com. They give you several choices of brands and prices. They usually have the lowest price, ship extremely quick and shipping cost is cheap. I always use MOOG parts in my MOPARS - do it once and do it right. Also, look for grease fittings on the new part.

I have had read good luck with Rockauto.com. They give you several choices of brands and prices. They usually have the lowest price, ship extremely quick and shipping cost is cheap. I always use MOOG parts in my MOPARS - do it once and do it right. Also, look for grease fittings on the new part.

Yep, Rockauto.com. My outer tie rod ends, 11mm ball joints, tension control rod bushings, stabalizer bar link bushings and steering rack boots all arrived about an hour ago. Can you guess what I am doing this weekend?

Whoo, Johny, you are gonna be busy! Let us know how it goes and which brand parts you used! Quite the ambitious project with the cold temps, I would think.

Everything is already disassembled, blasted and painted. As for parts I wanted to stay as close to stock looking as possible so I went with Moog tie rods, Raybestos 11mm ball joints (the only 11mm that was in stock at Rockauto with castelated nut and grease fitting, Energy bushings, Raybestos rack bellows, ACdelco rubber tension rod bushings and KYB GR2's with the KYB bump stop and boot. I also bought the beck arnley motor mounts for 13.51 each from Rockauto and they are an almost exact match to the OEM.

As for the weather, where I live if you don't have a heated garage you don't work on your car all winter. I have in floor cable heat and a gas heater. Nice and toasty.:D

Now if I could get a 4 post lift I would be perfect.