IGNORED

Any recommendations for remote door locks?

jthill3

Mine is a '77 280z coupe. I bought a set for remote door locks from Summit but they were too large so I am back to ground zero looking for a remote door lock solution.

Wanting to see if anyone has had sucess in installing remote door locks without cutting the doors and if so, could you share a link to where I can get them?

Thanks for any help......

I'm not sure how you could do that without cutting the door panels or drilling holes in the doors. The PO of my 260Z installed a remote door lock kit because of issues with a failing door lock. I worked on the door lock and yanked the wiring out for the remote kit. The PO didn't cut the panels. He just snaked the wires in a small loom out of the door, warping the panels slightly.

The PO gave me the original box for the kit, and I think I still have it. I can give you the brand tonight maybe.

Thanks SteveJ for the info -

(I was talking about cutting sturucture of the door - don't want to do that - but maybe I got the wrong siize locks for my car.....)

With the brand/model that the PO installed, there was no cutting of the door structures. There was one hole drilled for stabilizing the motor to raise/lower the arm attached to the door lock. It might be more what you're looking for.

The drilling is the hardest part. I've done power door locks and power windows in over 20 Z's. You need a small drill to reach inside the door and drill from the inside out. 280Z's have an advantage of already having a small rubber grommet on the body, that will allow you to feed the wires into the car after the door is drilled and you instal a rubber or plastic grommet to protect the wires.

Also, you'll likely find you have to grind a flat spot on your lock rod for the actuator's rod Clamp to attach to the lock rod. You can kinda see what I mean on the 2nd picture.

Dave

post-4921-14150810096128_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810096579_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810097005_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810097427_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415081009765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Well, I found the box for the remote system. The receipt was in it, too. The PO bought it from (now) Black Dragon Automotive. It's the system pictured on the Door/Door Lock Kits page. The part number is 94-403, and the current price is $49.95.