IGNORED

Magnetic spoiler attachment

Neal G

I am looking for information on the use of rare earth magnets to attach the rear spoiler. There has been some mention of this in various other posts, so I am sure it's been done before. With positive expectations I ordered a few. They arrived and now I'm second guessing their use. These things are so strong it's frightening. My list of concerns includes, The magnitization of the body pannel and collecting debris and possibly staining/ scratching the paint, and or interference with the radio/ antenia and or messing up the K-40 radar sensor I hid in the rear taillight. What do you guys think?

neal

That sounds like a good idea to me. You could apoxy them to the spoiler and you can glue felt to the magnet so it does'nt scratch the paint. What size are the magnets? I think they would need to be on thin so that there would'nt be any space between the spoiler and the surface of the car.

Hard disk magnets are very strong, thin, already have mounting points and could make a good alternative. But I'd prefer to use a machine screw into an embedded nut with a threadlocker. You don't want that thing coming off as it could do some serious harm to people behind you.

....... But I'd prefer to use a machine screw into an embedded nut with a threadlocker. You don't want that thing coming off as it could do some serious harm to people behind you.

I ditto that. Be careful. If it flies off, there is the potential to damage the people behind you. If it's tethered to the car when it flies off, you'll beat the rear of your own vehicle to death (along with the spoiler). I don't like either scenario. IMHO I'd not put one on if I didn't want to drill holes.

I don't think it would work.

They are very strong when trying to remove them at 90 degrees to the surface they are attached to, but relatively easy to slide, and the forces acting on the rear spoiler would be more of the sliding type. Unless you have a corresponding magnet bonded to the hatch for each one bonded in the spoiler, and a couple of locating dowels to stop sliding movement I don't think you would have much luck keeping it on the car at speed. But then doing all that defeats the purpose I believe you bought them for - not having to drill holes in the car.

I don't think the magnets will have any noticeable affect on your radio reception.

I don't think your car will be attracting shopping carts in the supermarket car park any more than a shiny new paint job would.

I had the same thought about using magnets for attaching ZG flares, but I doubted that it would work, so never bothered experimenting.

Maybe when the hybridZ guys do another wind tunnel test they can test magnetic spoiler attachment.

What size? These things are 1"x1"x1/2" spec sheet says; 43lbs of pull each. When you stick them to the fridge, you have to slide them to the edge to remove. I already underestimated their strength and lost a chunk of skin when two of them got too close and decided to join with my skin in between. I read a post from someone that used a similar strength and they held to 100mph.

I was going to glass them on the inside of the spoiler (i opened it to modify). 3 across the lid and one on each end that would stick to the fenders. I was thinking about running some thin closed cell foam tape on the underside to prevent slipping and scratching. I had not thought of a tether line.

I still wonder about magnatizing the body panel and or interference with my electronics.

neal

They may very well hold, but if it flies off and hurts someone, you will be liable. Especially if you didn't make all attempts to secure it right. I think my WRX rear wing actually has a tether cable, inside the trunk lid, that picks up a mounting bolt. I don't have a spoiler on my Z for the exact reason that I don't want to drill holes and I won't trust tape.