IGNORED

What's the difference? 240/260Z Throttle boots

Zs-ondabrain

What am I missing here? What is the difference between the 2 throttle linkage boots on the 240Z and 260Z? The best I can tell is that 260/280Z boot has a "Metal Sleeve" What is the sleeve for and does it matter?

I ask because I'm trying to finish up a few details on the firewall of the 260Z (early) and am seriously confused on the 2 boots. Does it matter that I have an Early 260Z? Can I use a 240Z style boot?

From MSA's "Underhood Rubber" page.........

Throttle Boot, 70-73 Z

Code:34-1201

Price: $6.47

Throttle Boot, 74-78 260Z-280Z

Code:34-1203

Price: $18.40

Thanks in advance guys,

Dave

Dave,

Despite owning a 73 & 74, I couldn't tell you off hand. However, have you converted the 74 to round tops? If so, what linkages did you use?

Worst case scenario is that you could buy the cheaper one. If it doesn't work, make sure you don't tear it up, and I could buy it from you when I finally send my turn signal switch to you for cleaning.

Steve

I tried everything. I compared pics on eBay, MSA and anywhere else I could find both products. The only thing I can see is the metal sleeve and I don't recall removing one from the 260Z on Teardown.

Good idea Steve, I'll just get the 240Z one at $6.50 and try it out. This is the rubber boot that goes on the firewall from the pedal to the pivot arm. I don't remember seeing a difference but $10 between the 2 says there IS one.

Dave

Edit borrowed camera here is a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14971874@N03/4346495351/

Still waiting on a new camera. My early 260Z has whats left of the original boot. My best description:

There is a rubber plug portion in the firewall and then going forward it is a "bellows" type affair - about 6 bellows, 3" long with throttle at rest. It runs from the plug portion on the firewall to the white plastic socket on the pivoting metal piece that is attached with a pin to the spot-welded bracket on the firewall. I do not see any metal sleeve, nor have I ever looked at a 240Z to determine if they are the same. I would guess that it would be more like the $6 240Z than the $16 280Z deal.

Aint owning an early 260Z fun?

What does your 240Z run for a boot? If my description is understandable and you have the same boot on your 240Z, you have a match. Who knows what you get, as far as what MSA is selling W/O a picture(damn them)

In the picture of my car that I have linked, you can see what left of the bellow boot sticking out of the firewall as I am trying to describe. In the middle of this picture - higher up - you can see the fat rod that connects up to the thin shaft w/hook for the carbs. That shaft in the picture has a very small rubber bellows type boot! Perhaps this is what MSA is referring to? From why I can gather from other post is that the 240Z has a different shaft and bracket on the firewall to the carbs than the 260Z and 280Z - in our case; all 260Z's! and probably a different boot on this shaft. I think that MSA's rubber is for this shaft and not for the firewall throttle rod. If this is the case, then who sells the rubber boot for the throttle rod and are they same for the 240's? or 280's? or unique to the 260's?

Put those triples on the stock(hopefully) L26, then we can compare notes!

Edited by oldhemi