IGNORED

240z-280z or stock exhaust needed in ottawa for new project

peterc

If it helps here is a good illustration of the stock exhaust system up to July '73. We have a thread somewhere that had details of the changes made and dates, up to '78.

PS: Found the mounting thread. Some good illustrations also.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29320&highlight=exhaust+mounting

Edited by geezer
added link

(ajmcforester) I understand the exhaust system is now off the car. Is it disassembled? If I recall correctly none of the individual pieces were that long. Just thinking, if we can't get something local, it would be far cheaper and quicker to ship your exhaust system up rather than wait til spring and trailer up the entire car.

It's off but it won't separate at the joints from the downpipe back. I'll take pictures tomorrow when it is light out. I was going to try heat next to separate the sections I don't want to destroy it in case I ever want to put it on again, but I would like to brake it down to save on room. The front pipe and muffler from the Supersprint exhaust only cost $15 to ship from Michigan to me. If you wanted the exhaust manifold that might cost more to ship.

Also you might want to note the different exhaust manifolds (they have numbers on them) if your going to make a kit that starts from the exhaust manifolds. I found on my first Z a 72 with a non-smog-pump system that it had a different size outlet and pipe angle than the standard US versions and could not get the gasket for it. That car was a little special, the engine was no good from the factory so a engine was replaced in mid 73 with a hand built engine that was balanced with factory parts at that time the exhaust manifold was changed. I was told the exhaust manifold was from Japan or the Europe version, but I was also told they were brought in for Bob Sharp and BRE what ever truth that holds. The former owner I bought the car from told me Bob Sharp's shop did the work and he heard it from the original owner which lived in that area, but their is no records to prove what I was told. Sorry that was a somewhat interesting tangent, but my point is in my research about this exhaust manifold I found 4 different versions around the world for just the 69-73 production, and they had 2 different connections. Sorry I do not have the other exhaust manifold the insurance company would not sell the car back to me or place it in an auction were I could try to win it back:disappoin. I also don't have the numbers for the exhaust manifolds, I was going threw a lot when I lost that car and I can't find some of my papers. I wish I still had her I had some great memories of that car, I was even offered $35,000 for it and I turned it down and a month later someone hit me while stopped at 85mph.

Sorry if I ranted to much about my first car the Z car is one of my top 10 dream cars and the @$$ hole took it away from me(like lousing a family member), got me hurt, killed his two kids and never got caught. For the two of us I hope to never see him. It has made restoring my new Z about 10X harder for me if something happens to this one I'll never own a Z again. It's to hard to restore one again.

Peter - I have a complete 2.25" custom system not installed in the barn...It is mated (?) to a 76 manifold... The issue for me is getting down to the barn...(Thousand Island Bridge area)...

If Dan knows of the "card system", and just doesn't have them for the Z car, perhaps another muffler shop would be willing to lend him what he needs.

Just a thought....

Regards

GWGarrard

Am meeting with Dan today. Will take print-outs of the various diagrams and will inquire about the 'card system'. The diagrams, while not a replacement for the actual thing, should give Dan a pretty good idea of the level of complexity of the project.

Will update everyone accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
....maybe it was harder than they thought it would be?
Probably. It always is, you know. But since these people ARE professionals at this stuff, I figure they probably know what they are doing.

That is why I jumped in quickly to help I thought this was a great thing. Back in 2003 I was talking to my friend in Gates Rubber about doing accurate reproductions of the hoses; then of the other rubber parts. His bosses liked the idea if we could get all NOS for z cars from 240z-280z to make the molds. Well I called MSA and several other shops explained what we are doing, they would tell me we like the idea and let us know when they are available, but we won't let you barrow (or buy in some cases) our NOS stock. So it ended.