IGNORED

sweet smell inside

scotts pearl

I believe i have a heater core leaking or maybe some type of shut off valve...

i do have a/c.. my question is this,,,,, can i shut off the water to the inside of the car without damaging anything?:stupid: i would like to wait a while til i can diganose the problem... the only thing i have noticed is that the temp lever has no effect,,, blows hot air anytime the fan is on even with temp lever selected to cool...this just started... please help,,, thanks again..:classic:

Edited by scotts pearl
spell check

The water (coolant) has a shut off valve mounted on the inner wall under the left side of the glove box. A lever from the front console opens and closes it. This allows hot coolant to enter the heater core (and then recycle back into the engine).

So yes, you can shut it off from the engine but right now it seems that either the stopcock isn't working (stuck or damaged) or the cable isn't attached.

Go under the dash with a light and see what's up. Say good bye to your back as you twist upside down (pad the door sill).

Depending on how long you need to wait, you could use your two heater hoses to run a bypass. Use one to connect the two ports together from your engine. Use the other to connect between the two heater nipples on the firewall (to keep the heater core clean). Use zip ties to hold them out of harm's way.

If you remove the glove box, unplug the 2 wire plugs, and remove the heater fan assembly (3 bolts), you will have easier access to view and remove the heater core valve. If that doesn't appear to be leaking, then by removing it, you can access the heater core cover, and slide the heater core out.

I just did this on my '77. Alot easier than removing the center console and removing the entire heater box assembly.