IGNORED

Removing alternator pulley

TomoHawk

Higuys,

The alternator on my 280Z is a recent replacement, and after one year the pulley is rusted on the one visible cheek. I'm not sure is a rusted alternator pulley is correct/OEM for stock, but it doesn't look nice.

So I'd like to de-rust it and paint it. I don't think the polished Zinc plating would look right, unless I left it unpolished, but it would be difficult to just plate the one check and leave the groove unplated.

Is it possible to remove the alternator pulley while the alternator is still on the engine? What is the usual way to remove the pulley?

thxZ

I did a little research earlier and it seems on other cars, you need to remove the nut, and then use allen wrenches to remove some grub screws before the pulley comes off.

It was a big pain to get the alternator on the first time, so I was going to leave it on this time. If I have to, I'll take the fan off, so I can get at the pulley with steel wool and a stubby paint brush.

thxZ

I only have manual tools also. but I think there might be a length of gaspipe in the attic somewhere.

Is there any problem with painting the pulley? It is somewhat protected from flyong debris by the radiator, but still gets a fair amount of water-spray on it. I still have some silver ceramic caliper paint I could use.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

• 2 weeks later...