IGNORED

Early front bumper question.....

mally002

Does anyone have a photo of the attachment point of the early front bumper metal mounts. Are there 2 metal braces or 4 (I can only find 2, so I hope it's not 4).

Since I removed the front bumper over a year ago, I simply can't remember and searched the site for some pictures but came up empty. I thought I had it right, but when I went to attach the headlight bucket the bumper brace was in the way.......I'm sure it's simple but wanted to seek assistance before I head back out to the shop on Monday.

Thanks.

Ok, good I'm not missing any.

Regarding the location, is each mount secured by two bolts. I'm sure I located the mounting holes but the headlight bucket not clearing had me confused.

Which way are they attached? Do they "bend' away from each other or point toward each other....does that make sense.

Do the bolts thread with the head of the bolt facing toward the tire or the head facing toward the engine....again I hope this makes sense.

Here is the bumper from my 1972. I would put the headlight buckets on first and then the bumper. Also, attach the brackets to the bumper loosely first and then install on the car. If I understand your question about which way the bolt heads face, you install them from the engine bay, so they face back towards the engine. Also, I would recommend having a helper, so you don't end up scratching the paint. Some people also cover the ends with tube socks to help prevent scratches during installation.

-Mike

post-9102-14150809416808_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150809417333_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150809417764_thumb.jpg

Man I am so stupid.......I didn't even think about putting them on the bumper first and then setting it in..........:stupid:....:stupid:.....:stupid:.....:stupid:

Thanks Mike, your picture helps a lot.

DZG, thanks for your photo and help also.

There is also a right & left side to these. Look at the 2 slots where they attach to the body and you will see the slots are not centered from the top to bottom of the bracket. The correct position on the car is to have the the bolt slots to the bottom of the bracket when ithey are bolted in place.