IGNORED

How far for gas tank go into filler neck?

cafebaltimore

Hi,

I have searched and been unable to find a definitive answer to an issue I am having with my fuel tank.

The gas tank fill port does not seem to go all the way into the rubber filler tube. It looks like it can go another 1/2 inch before it reaches the base of the port.

I am fairly certain that it should go on further, but I wanted to see if anyone knew exactly how this is supposed to go on. Others have left it with a 1/2 inch gap and reported no problems, but it seems to me that the top of the gas tank will fit better against the underside of the body (specifically the curved bracket that is covered in rubber and welded to the underside of the body with the intent of cupping the front top leading edge of the gas tank. Plus the vent tube port seems like it would have more clearance next to that rubber coated bracket.

Thanks,

Jeff

Is there some secret to getting the tank and tube to line up. Working on my 70 yesterday and I can not get the filler neck to move enough to line up with the tank tube.

The tube did not come out, does it come out easily or what? Fought it about 2 hours yesterday, tank in tank out, tank in tank out. I just can not get it to line up? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Richard.

It is all about the angle with which you raise the tank. I raised it slightly filler-tube first. Then I twisted so the filler neck rotated back and forth inside the rubber filler neck.

I do not have access to pics at the moment.

If one single person is able to look at their gas tank and see the rubber filler neck butted against tank body, then my mystery is solved. Anybody?

Edited by cafebaltimore

I have been through this a few times. Heat is answer to soften the tubing, but it can still be very tough to do. Lubrication is good idea as well. Some nice lithium based grease would do fine. Rotating the tank and filler neck as you push them together is the other trick as mentioned above.

What you need to end up with, is this. You see two small ridges that encircle the filler neck near the end, about 3/8"" apart about 1/4 from the end of the tube? This is where the clamp goes, between the ridges. So you job is to get that area over the tank neck completely, so that tightening the clamp secures it around the neck of the tank inlet. It will eventually work its way off if the clamp ends up overalapping the end of the tank inlet tube. Capish?

Patience, a good hair dryer, and strength will see you through.

Jim