IGNORED

Front automatic tranny seal replacement

widget777

DOes anybody have any hints on how to replace the front tranny seal on a 78 z with automatic. I am pulling the engine and want to do the seal at the same time.

Is there anything else that i should do on theh tranny while the engine is out of the car?

Thanks

DOes anybody have any hints on how to replace the front tranny seal on a 78 z with automatic. I am pulling the engine and want to do the seal at the same time.

Is there anything else that i should do on theh tranny while the engine is out of the car?

Thanks

OK. I just did it few weeks ago,so I can share some pictures here with you.

1. remove the fan, so it does not hit the radiator when trans is removed and tilted

2. remove the rear bell housing cover (2 pc) at the bottom

3.Disconnect the battery and remove the starter.

4. Losen the bolts on torque converter by turning crank shaft.

5. Remove the drive shaft(losen 4 bolts at the back)

6. Drain trans fluid

7. Loosen cross member with support(jack?) under the oilpan.

8. Disconnect the shift linkage

9. remove the trans. So you can remove the torque converter(where the front seal is) and put it back(make sure it is locked in place) I also recommand you to replace trans. rear seal and Engine rear main seal (remove the flywheel, and do it)

Esprist

http://jdm-car-parts.com/page/3/

post-16910-14150809017339_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150809017846_thumb.jpg

Edited by esprist

Esprist, Thanks for the input. I am removing the engine to replace the long block so I assume that I can disregard steps 1 - 8 and access the front tranny seal with the tranny still in the car?

Is it possible to replace the rear tranny seal later with the tranny still in the car?

Esprist, Thanks for the input. I am removing the engine to replace the long block so I assume that I can disregard steps 1 - 8 and access the front tranny seal with the tranny still in the car?

Is it possible to replace the rear tranny seal later with the tranny still in the car?

o

Sure. You need to remove the drive shaft to get to it. It pops right out.

Please make sure to drain the fluid out of it. It is also good idea to check and see if any of other items are not leaking: speedo cable cog, trans. modulator, and cooling lines in and out the trans.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com