IGNORED

# of white 240Z's in 1972

dntpunchgrandpa

I heard from my mechanic who has worked on Z's since their conception, and he was saying that of the 1972 240z's only 1500 were made with the white body and a red interior. Seeing how I am the owner of one I was wondering just how valid this statement is. It's due for a paint job and I was considering going silver to compliment the red interior, however if its one of only 1500 made, I may reconsider and just repaint it the original 904 white.

thanks all.

Can't be confirmed, as the original records from Nissan are not available. But since '72 was the largest sales year of 240Z in the USA (over 50,000 sold), and white was not an uncommon color, and the info I've seen other places shows that ALL white '72s had red interior, I suspect the number was more than 1500. Maybe a lot more.

On the other hand, just because "everyone knows" that all white '72s in the US had red interior doesn't mean there weren't exceptions. We are discussing 240Zs, after all.

If you want to remain "color correct", choose from these available color combinations for 1972. Since no records were kept or supplied by Nissan, you are free to do so, as long as it is done properly as a complete color change with no tell tale signs. We won't tell anyone either.:D Notice that silver is not one of the choices though, but gray metalic is.:ermm:

thanks ron!

I didn't know that Nissan kept no record of the 240z and their colors. That definitely helps me with the decision making process.

And yeah we are both thinking of the same color just calling it by different names. the "silver" or metallic gray 901 is what I am thinking of going with, vs. the car's present 904 white. I did some searching just before I read your reply and found a page on google that listed the available color and interior combos for each year. So you're dead on with your list of colors. Luckily the metallic gray and red interior is one of the original body color/interior options for that year. So as long as you guys can keep a secret I think that's the route I'm going to go unless I hear something confirming there only being "1500 white 240z's made in 1972"

Edited by dntpunchgrandpa

• 1 month later...
If you want to remain "color correct", choose from these available color combinations for 1972. Since no records were kept or supplied by Nissan, you are free to do so, as long as it is done properly as a complete color change with no tell tale signs. We won't tell anyone either.:D Notice that silver is not one of the choices though, but gray metalic is.:ermm:

What's this listing for 114 Gold about? Looks like that should read 920. I have a 114 paint code but it's Metallic Brown and it would be a real stretch to call it anything but brown.

Good catch Adam. I never noticed that until now. That color chart was a bad choice I guess. It was taken from TS71-47, which was the Introduction of the 1972 HLS30. It was issued Oct 6 1971 and obviously subject to change or a mistake.

More interesting data from Zhome:

1972 - 114 Brown Metallic

1973 - 114 Brown Metallic

Note B: 1973 FMVSS required Flame Retardent Material for interior vinyls

(#114 aka: CoCo Brown)

Scroll down the page under the heading of Added/Changed for 72/73 Model Year Cars.

114 Bronze Metallic (from 9/71) (aka: CoCo/Dark Brown

Under the heading of 260Z/280Z Colors the number changes to 214 Dark Brown (from 8/73- 7/76)

Now I had a white interior 72, and I knew people with the blue like mine with black, I think your list shows the other color besides black that were available? I also thought the blue interior was available with the white body, I know it was for the earlier years and I thought so for the 72 also.

Now I had a white interior 72, and I knew people with the blue like mine with black, I think your list shows the other color besides black that were available? I also thought the blue interior was available with the white body, I know it was for the earlier years and I thought so for the 72 also.

For 1972 zhome doesn't list Blue/Black or White/Blue.

http://www.zhome.com/History/colors.html