IGNORED

ZX axles for R200 swap - need detail confirmation

EricB

Hi all,

I picked up some used ZX cv half-shafts. However they're disassembled. Its obvious enough the longer half shaft goes on passenger side & shorter one on driver side since the diff itself is not centered on the car.

But what about the ends that plug into the diff?

Please confirm the longer one goes on driver side & shorter one on passenger side. Is that correct?

Thanks

-e

IIRC, the long shaft goes on the Pass side and the shorter shaft goes on the Drivers side, as the ring gear is on the DS of the diff. So the longer would need to be on the PS of the diff.

I have CV's in my 8/70 with my R200 diff. I just replaced the pass. side CV because of a ripped boot (from the end link bolt) And the shaft seemed long. The 83' turbo FSM should tell you the right answer.

Anyone?

Dave

PS. If anyone buys a replacement from Schucks / O'Rileys, you'll need to grind the 1/4" lip off near the input shaft, as it hits the outer casing and doesn't allow full insertion until you do. ALSO, only the Passenger side (longer input shaft) is available. Apparently, the DS shaft is NLA. ?

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

We installed a R200 L/S in my '71 240. We did shorten the ZX axles 1" before the installation. We cut the outer housings in a band saw and then cut 1" out and trued them up in a lathe. They were welded back together and have not been a problem since installed. We were told the axles would not fit in a Z w/o shortening them. I remember the problems we used to have putting stock axles in the racecar with R190's. They just did fit with no clearance over the bolts on the diff. The R200 is a bit larger and the ZX axles are longer. I know people make them fit but we did not want to "pound" them in. We did use the R180 flanges on the R200.

We installed a R200 L/S in my '71 240. We did shorten the ZX axles 1" before the installation. We cut the outer housings in a band saw and then cut 1" out and trued them up in a lathe. They were welded back together and have not been a problem since installed. We were told the axles would not fit in a Z w/o shortening them. I remember the problems we used to have putting stock axles in the racecar with R190's. They just did fit with no clearance over the bolts on the diff. The R200 is a bit larger and the ZX axles are longer. I know people make them fit but we did not want to "pound" them in. We did use the R180 flanges on the R200.

Reading your post tells me you have done what I was thinking of doing but I don't understand 100%. Do I take it you have shortened the output flange by 1"? Any chance of a pic or drawing?

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but I am installing a Quaife unit and I have measured and measured and if I put the long side flange shaft in the drivers side, they snap right into place and appear to be the same distance from the diff. housing. I know this is not supposed to be right, but when they snap in the other way, the passenger side flange is about 3/8 inch out too far. Any reason not to run it like I have it since it appears to be centered etc.? Thanks