IGNORED

240 Z Cowl

gira

Greg, have you checked with John Coffey (betamotorsports.com)?

We have a FG version on our 240 race car and contrary to what you might have figured, air is not drawn into the engine bay via the low pressure swirling at the base of the windshield.

I ran the car with tell-tales at speeds over 110mph and they were blowing out (and not in).

Looks good, however...

Greg, have you checked with John Coffey (betamotorsports.com)?

We have a FG version on our 240 race car and contrary to what you might have figured, air is not drawn into the engine bay via the low pressure swirling at the base of the windshield.

I ran the car with tell-tales at speeds over 110mph and they were blowing out (and not in).

Looks good, however...

Yeah, I am not sure air can even reach the engine bay from the cowl area. This is for an EP car where alternate materials are allowed, although it does not specifically say "Cowl." I'll have to get a ruling on it. At best I'll save about three pounds, but it's worth it at this point. We're still running a little bit heavy.

greg

I have shipped both metal and FG parts and have found that the real weight savings come from glass replacement(w/lexan), door gutting, and then FG part replacement (there isn't much different between steel and FG fenders, but the hood and doors could save you 25 lbs).

You could at one time get an entire S30 body (save the roof) made from FG. I shipped a complete rear FG clip to Europe 3 yrs ago.

I have shipped both metal and FG parts and have found that the real weight savings come from glass replacement(w/lexan), door gutting, and then FG part replacement (there isn't much different between steel and FG fenders, but the hood and doors could save you 25 lbs).

You could at one time get an entire S30 body (save the roof) made from FG. I shipped a complete rear FG clip to Europe 3 yrs ago.

Hey Gnose,

Yeah we've done all of that. At this level, each ounce counts. We also can't touch the door material with our rules. They have to be kept on but I have got them down to 15lbs, and that's just the skin! All the glass is long gone. Try to get a z down to 2000 lbs with the driver. It's tuff but we're currently running about 25 lbs heavy.

Greg