IGNORED

Smoking Starter Solenoid

zmadnez

Went on a 17 mile short drive on the '70 240 today and after my first stop it wouldn't start. It clicked when the ignition is turned on. All connection to and from the battery & ground is tight and the battery is fully charged (green light on the trickle charge before unhooking it for the drive). When the ignition is turned and it kept clicking, smoke started to emit from the solenoid. Unsure if it is a bad solenoid or starter.

Should I replace both the solenoid and starter or just the solenoid?

The solenoid alone costs $89 @ MSA and a rebuild starter is around $70. I saw several posts about where places that may have the starter in stock but none of the auto stores in my area carry them. I'll have to bite the bullet and go to MSA, if they have them in stock. I don't recall replacing when the starter and solenoid was replaced in 15+ years. Suggestions... Recommendations???

Just buy a full rebuilt starter. Solenoid replacement now-a-days isn't worth it. It's easier and cheaper to just buy the whole thing.

Solenoids are simple enough, a copper striker plate hits the power and start motor wire and connects them when the solenoid slides forward from being energized (you starting the car) but over time, the copper plate gets loaded with burn marks and carbon till it no longer make the connection. The clicking you hear is the solenoid sliding forward and hitting the copper plate to the 2 contacts. Enough times and it'll start to smoke from too much resistance and build-up. 15 years was a good run, time to replace.

Just spend the $70 and call it done.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

If your concerned about the cost of the starter, consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-187-0028-Remanufactured-Starter/dp/B000CB1Z7O/ref=au_pf_ss_1?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=005

This is the one for a '70 240z.

I bought one just so that I wouldn't have to wear out my original Nissan starter, it's been working great now for months. And... It has free shipping.

As long as I am adding a post, one thing that I am finding odd and maybe someone has a answer... I have a manual transmission, but the starters that match my existing (and work perfectly) are for automatic trans (solenoid on the left of the mounting bolt, away from the block, instead of on the right, next to the block). Other than this difference, is there any other? :stupid:

I called other auto parts store outside of my area and discovered Kragen had an Autolite starter. It looked a lot like the Beck-Arnley starter on the picture. Has a lifetime warranty and it's $30, starter and solenoid. Installed it and it worked like a champ.

Thanks for the recommendations.