IGNORED

Rear Drum Stuck????

my240z

• 1 month later...

Use a torch on the outer drums flat spots (around and between the studs) but not on the center. Heating the aluminum drum should help expand it to clear the center hub peice. Typically, the steel and aluminum weld themselves together with rust and corrosion. Sometimes the heat and some sharp blows can loosen the hold.

Is the drumm loose and won't come off because it's catching on the pads? Or is the drum solid on the hub as if being held by rust?

One of those answers will help us help you.

Dave

I had the same problem with my '71. What happens is the aluminum drum and the steel stub axle actually fuse together when they corrode next to each other, and it just takes a ton of force to get it loose. What I had to do was take a gear puller, grind down the teeth to where they would fit in the two holes at opposite ends in the drum, put the pusher rod against the stub axle, and crank at it with a three foot breaker bar. The drum shot back about 5 feet when it finally broke loose, always fun. I then had to take a dremel to the stub axle because it actually tore off some of the aluminum from the drum and was still fused to the stub axle. So what actually happened was I never actually broke the drum loose, but I applied enough force to rip aluminum in two.

Give it a shot