IGNORED

Non chrome bumpers

jwerner2

I have been doing a search and Im coming up short.

I see lots of Z's with kits and all and some have the chrome bumpers and some dont.

Is this part of the kit, are some of you removing the chrome bumper and doing some extra work, or are you just simply painting the chrome?

On my 240z, the chrome bumpers were bent and rusty. I don't have the money to purchase new or good quality replacements so I opted for the fiberglass instead. I hope this is a short term problem. I am going to look into straightening and rechroming at some point in the future.

carl

I see lots of Z's with kits and all and some have the chrome bumpers and some dont.

Is this part of the kit, are some of you removing the chrome bumper and doing some extra work, or are you just simply painting the chrome?

Many years ago I mounted 240 bumpers on my 280. I simply sandblasted them inside and out, welded all the trim holes etc, skimmed a coat of bondo on, and painted. They turned out pretty good. Sandblasting aids paint adhesion as well.

I bought a rear last month off a guy over at Hybrid. Did the same thing preith mentioned.

Sand blasted, welded up the holes, ground them down, skimmed them and then primed. He opted to go smooth (no rear bumper) and sold it to me for $100. It is very straight, he spent alot of time on it. For the front, I went fiberglass from MSA.

If you have some coin, there have been some very nice stainless steel sets on Ebay recently for around $1100. Your avatar pic is from MSA, part of a set or a stand alone purchase. I leaned in that direction but dont like the way the rear looked at all.

Edited by MEZZZ