IGNORED

Bump n' Squeak!

AndysPlit

OK, my shop can't seem to yet find the problem here. There is a very distinct and loud squeaking that seems to be coming from the front left part of my suspension. It squeaks whenever I hit a bump or start to brake. I am assuming the squeaking happens whenever the weight of the car is forced upon the front of it, or when the tire is pushed up when going over a speedbump. The left side in particular makes that sound.

I am planning on changing out all the old bushing for new urethane versions. Not sure if this will cure the problem. My garage has already tried greasing things down there but the squeaking still persists. I've been living with this for a couple years now!!!!!!!

I would suggest installing zerk fittings and drilling corresponding holes in the bushings so that you can lube them after install in as many places as possible. I know the front sway bar would work, think the front control arm might as well. Poly is well known for squeaking.

I would suspect the swaybar bushings as the culprit for the noise you have now.

When you go to purchase your bushings , my suggestion would be to buy the black urethane from Energy suspension as they are graphite impregnated and lube the heck out of them with white lithium grease when you are installing and do as well what others are suggesting with the zerk fittings and your problems should be solved .

Avoid the red colored as they will squeak after a time . Others will chime in with similar advice

Z you later

Chris

Yes, poly will squeak. The black graphite impregnated ones are better than the red ones for this. I am given to believe that the zerk fittings improve things, but I wonder by how much. Reason I say this is that, 1) the grease won't get all the way around the bushing, leaving large areas on most bushings where the presence of a zerk fitting and the grease it introduces won't help. I think this is true even if you take the additional step of cutting a groove in the bushing to help the grease flow. And, 2) The grease will eventually harden, and, in the absence of a clear 'exit strategy' will simply act as an impediment to the effects of new grease, which again, will limit the ability of the zerk fitting to get grease between the busing and the metal.

But this is hypothetical on my part (although I have been told this is an issue by my parts guy), so am happy if someone can correct me with the weight of experience. And, since zerk fittings are cheap, perhaps there is not much to lose in putting one on in any event.

Edited by Langford Chuck

I have actually tried the zerks in the outer rear control arms. The bushings there are two parts and I put the zerk in between the two halves, so the grease did go all the way around the bushing. When I put my grease gun on it you could see grease coming out on both sides between the sleeve and the bushing in the center, right where you want it. I also had good luck on the sway bar bushings, even though they are one piece and I didn't provide a channel for the grease to move around the whole bar. Where it didn't work was on the inner rear control arm bushings. Those bushing caps are not sealed all the way around, so the grease just leaked out the corner. I think they would work for the front control arms too, but haven't tried as I have rod ends there so no need. I never actually ran the arms, I ended up cutting them up and modifying them for rod ends too, but I can say for sure that the grease on my arms came out in the right spot when I hit it with a grease gun, and you could feel the difference in greased vs non-greased bushings. I also called Energy Suspension and they said regular old moly chassis grease is fine, as are synthetics.

If you wanted I think it would be pretty easy to put a groove in the bushing for grease. Haven't tried it, just thinking out loud, but a soldering iron might do the trick.

Edited by jmortensen