Arne

Mylar logo'd sunshades - Completed

Here's the final count:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Here's the final count:

• [b]240-Z[/b]
    • [b]280-Z[/b]
    • [b]DATSUN[/b]

We're down to only one single 240-Z sunshade left that is not spoken for. Last call!

I think we lost some of the proportions when it was made taller/narrower. I can't quite nail it down, but something went strange with the resize.

Here is the retweek on the Datsun, I over layed it over the Datsun on the back of the BRE car I copied it from, so you can see how close it is.

I hope this is closer, you can see that it does distort some when I enlarged it. The "S" is the problem, it looks mor distorted that the other letters.

I am now working on the 240-Z so I can see if I can improve on the numbers.

post-13827-14150809303257_thumb.jpg

Here is the retweeked 240-Z.

I thickened the top and bottom of the "2".

I thickened all the "4" and made it a little narrower.

I made the "Z" thicker on the top and bottom.

I think this is closer.

post-13827-14150809303382_thumb.jpg

Well, the 240-Z is better, but the 4 still strikes me as being odd. The latest DATSUN looks good, and matches the BRE car logo pretty well. But what it doesn't match is my memory of how the DATSUN lettering on these sunshades looked in the old days. I still think that the either the DATSUN in posts #106 or #114 look closer to my memory.

As for the 240-Z, again I keep going back to #106 as being the most consistent from character to character, still looking like what I remember.

And in reality, I have not yet confirmed that the maker of these can accept an image file like this to created the necessary stencils from. I can certainly make suggestions based on the work here, but may need to trust him to tweak his fonts to try to match whichever we settle on here.

Here is DATSUN one more time.

The red background is the BRE car. The gray and off white is from the enlarging the image too much.

Black that you can just see peeking out around in areas is the last one I did.

The green are the letters from the one in post #114 that every one likes best.

post-13827-141508093035_thumb.jpg

Arne

I don't know if this helps, here is a crappy blackberry photo of mine. Let me know if you need it measured or a better photo of it.

Dave

A better photo might be nice for comparisons, if not too difficult to get.

Updated availability stats (12/16/09):

Item | 240-Z | DATSUN | Total |
-------------------------------------------
Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 38 | 22 | 60 |
Pending | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Available | 1 | 0 | 1 |

Updated availability stats (12/16/09):

Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 32 | 21 | 60 |
Pending | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Available | 1 | 0 | 1 |

Hopefully that's 39 paid for 240-Z otherwise it doesn't add up.

Hopefully that's 39 paid for 240-Z otherwise it doesn't add up.
Yup. Fixed it.

Had an order adjustment.

Updated availability stats (12/17/09):

Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 40 | 21 | 61 |
Pending | 0 | 2 | 2 |
Available | 0 | 1 | 1 |

As this now reflects, the 240-Z are all sold or reserved, and there is now only a single remaining DATSUN sunshade available.

Updated availability stats (12/18/09):

Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 40 | 22 | 62 |
Pending | 0 | 1 | 1 |
Available | 0 | 1 | 1 |

All pending payments have arrived. Only one left unsold.

Updated availability stats (12/19/09):

Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 40 | 23 | 63 |
Pending | 0 | 0 | 0 |
Available | 0 | 1 | 1 |

So I guess that this means that I won't be giving any of these away as Christmas Presents this year......

FWIW,

Carl B.

No Carl, I'm afraid not. I had hopes early on that we'd have them by now, but that all went sideways when the original dies turned out to be un-usable. Re-creating it all from scratch has taken some time. I think we are close, now.

thanks for the effort...
You're welcome, folks. I decided way back that I wanted one of these for myself bad enough to take on the project, knowing that it may not succeed, and that the road might be bumpy. It has been more work than I expected, but now that the end appears to be in sight, I can say that it wasn't too bad.

Of course, I still need to live through shipping them all once they get to me....

HUGE thanks Arne for all your hard work on this project :) Waiting on them to arrive is not really a problem ... it's a long time till 2010 driving season starts!

Have a great holiday season!!!:beer:

Stan

I hear you, Adam. I'll probably drive my 240Z to work either tomorrow or Wednesday. But even for those of us who drive year-around, the wait isn't too bad. I've waited three years so far. A few more weeks won't kill me.

Merry Christmas to all!

Test fitted the second round of paper mock-ups today. The shape is now good and ready for production.

Font shape looks 'right' to my eyes, and is as close as his process will get to the tweaked ones we have been discussing here. There are still some issues with how the letters/numbers follow the lower curve, but that should be fairly simple to correct.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33486&stc=1&d=1261786713

attachment.php?attachmentid=33487&stc=1&d=1261786713

post-8596-14150809386674_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415080941136_thumb.jpg

I really like the way the DATSUN version fills the width of the banner. My initial thought was that I would end up permanently mounting the 240-Z version on my existing car and save the DATSUN one for a future, perhaps non-240Z project, but now I'm not so sure...

I know what you mean, Adam. I have always been after the 240-Z version, but the DATSUN is growing on me quickly. I may decide to keep the last unreserved DATSUN for myself.

As for moving forward, the manufacturer (Joe) and I are both happy with the shape of the sunshades now, so that is finalized. We discussed the problem of the lettering not following the curve and Joe assures me that the vector graphic process used for the real thing (which is a completely different process than printing the mock-ups) will correct the letter/number placement.

So if we are happy with the font as shown here in post #147, we can proceed to production. If we do that I should be able to begin shipping them out within 10 days or so.

Comments? Thoughts?

If no one voices any objections by tomorrow morning, I'm going to OK them for production. Last chance for input.