IGNORED

260z electric fuel pump

400bird

Hi, everyone, My first post...

So, I am helping a friend with his 74 260z he just bought.

Tried to get it running today.

Once we got the firing order right (original owner had the firing order wired the wrong direction around the cap, no wonder it wouldn't run)

It has a holley 4 barrel (390 or 450cfm haven't looked into it very much)

The car has both an electric and mechanical fuel pump.

We came to the point that no fuel was getting through the electric pump.

After a little searching I just found out that there is a filter inside the pump we need to check out.

But, anyways.

My question is does he need to run the electric pump or do you think the mechanical pump will keep up the the holley?

As long as the mechanical pump is in good working order, it will be fine to run alone. Many people have bypassed the electric pump with success. You can also install an aftermarket inline electric pump and run it by itself. That's what I did with my 260, and it works flawlessly. Just make sure you get a low pressure pump. I believe somewhere around the 2.5-3 psi range is what is reccomended. Hope this helps!

The dual pump set-up helps with the occasional dreaded "Vapor lock" that the cars experienced every once in a while. Hot conditions were the main cause. Vapo lock pushed the fuel backwards with a standard mechanical pump. The electric pump prevents that from happening.

If the pump works, with a new filter inserted and a new external filter, then use it.

I have a 260Z as well. Check out the total rebuild with the link in my signiture below. There is a picture or 3 of the pump and filter set-up on pages 1, 4 and 5.

Dave

• 8 years later...