IGNORED

To run a fuel pressure regulator with this pump or not?

70 Cam Guy

I've done a good amount of searching now and I haven't been able to come to a conclusion. I bought a Facet-Purolator electric fuel pump from ebay that was advertised at 2.75-4 psi. In my mind that was perfect for the Z car so I did a buy-it-now (at a killer price imo).

Fast forward a couple days and the pump arrives only the packaging says 4-5.5 psi range. Still is brand new and made in the USA

Ebay woes aside, would you feel compelled to run a pressure regulator with this pump? I have read 3-5 psi for our cars is ok (stock L24 with 4-screws). I understand it's not a bad idea to run an fpr but does anyone think it would be required in this case? Is half a psi rating anything to really be worried about?

:beer:

Edited by 70 Cam Guy
fixing typos

I've always heard that the typical (Ideal) fuel pressure for the S.U.'s is about 3 lbs.

I only ran 4 to 4.5 for my Triple 40DCOE Webers. if that tells you anything.....

A decent regulator from Spectre? is about $20 or less. It's the dial top with 3/16" in/out's

FWIW

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I was out camping the last couple days. I agree, cheap insurance/peace of mind is to run a regulator from Spectre or Holley, both of which are under $30. For simplicity's sake I was hoping to avoid running a regulator. My friend has one he used on his (wrecked) drift car that he said I could have to run to have consistent pressure.

FWIW, my stock mechanical fuel pump generates ~3.4 psi according to my fuel pressure gauge (Mac) to the carb inlet. That is, when the rpm's are high enough for the needle to stabilize. I think I'll shoot for ~3.5-4 psi regulated.

4.5 seems high for Webers but I have heard 4 is good for many conditions. Triple Webers are in my future, just a ways off

:beer: