IGNORED

Dashboard Wiring Harness Confirmation

DMC-Z

First and foremost, I have searched multiple forums and believe I do in fact have the correct dashboard wiring harness, but due to the multiple part number changes, I thought I would confirm with the community before embarking on the dash removal

Background:

Last night I went to replace the gas gauge in my 6/70 Z. To my dismay and utter disappointment, the dashboard wiring harness currently in the car has been butchered and all the wires have been spliced together. Everything works except the gas gauge and all the radio connections are destroyed. i want to install the original radio when I replace the gauge, so installing the new harness is the only solution.

Solution:

I purchased a dashboard wiring harness a year or two ago, which the owner told me was removed from a 1970 Z. The part number tag is still on the harness and reads as follows:

24013 E4650

G 70 7 JAPAN

24013 E4651

G 70 7 JAPAN

My hope is the harness is from a 7/70 car, but I wanted to get input from the gurus on the site. My car is a 6/70 build date with a manual transmission. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the correct wiring harness for my car? Are there any potential issues I need to be aware of as I prepare the change over?

Knowing the harness is correct would sure provide me with the extra confidence I'll need to tackle removing the dash and reconnecting the harness.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and provide feedback. Have a great day.

Don

My old research says that those two harness sub-numbers were used for manual transmission cars from 2-70 through 9-70 (bundled under 24013-E4601), and also for 10-70 through 12-70 (bundled under 24013-E4602), so I would call them correct for your car.

Here's the thread where I went through all this with a previous car:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19793

Arne,

As always, thanks for the quality information, your previous post proved very helpful, although with one solution comes another challenge.

Since I had the spare dash and engine harnesses out, I checked my replacement engine harness to make sure everything was going to work as planned. The part number tag is still on the engine harness and reads 24012 E4602. Based on the your early post from your swap, I anticipated the tag to read 24012-E4601.

Any idea what the difference between these two parts numbers are? Will this pose any problems when connecting the two?

24012-E4602 is listed as correct for 1-71 through 12-71 manual transmission cars. Offhand, I can't think of any significant wiring changes under the hood at that point, so if the connectors match I suspect it will work.

I may have found the answer on ZCar.com, although any additional input is still appreciated.

According to this post (http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/698149) the engine harness with part number 2402-E4602 supercedes the 24012-E4601. The harness I have is apparently from a 71 car, but should work with the dash harness detailed in the post above. Since I'm not familiar with the poster, part of me questions the credibility of the posted response.

I briefly checked to see if the two harnesses will connect and the main connections seem too. I can't get at the harness in my car right now, so I'll need to do some additional research when time permits.

Thanks