Lights have gone crazy - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Lights have gone crazy

Featured Replies

Everything was working fine on my 70 Z, until we were taking it off the dyno the other day. Now, the rear tail lights don't work when the headlight switch is activated, brake lights don't work when I hit the brakes, but the front parking lights and instrument lights come on when I hit the brakes!! I would appreciate any ideas you guys might suggest. Thanks Guy

Everything was working fine on my 70 Z, until we were taking it off the dyno the other day. Now, the rear tail lights don't work when the headlight switch is activated, brake lights don't work when I hit the brakes, but the front parking lights and instrument lights come on when I hit the brakes!! I would appreciate any ideas you guys might suggest. Thanks Guy

Sounds like you may have lost your ground path for the rear lights.

Steve

Sounds like a faulty headlight switch or loose connector. Had a similar problem with my first Z. New column switch fixed it.

Do you loose the dash lights as well? I lost the rear lights and the lights for the plate, but lost the dash lights as well. Mine had wore through under the dash, a small short. I found the area by simply giggling the harness until I had lights. By giggling certain areas I was able to track the offending insulation free wire behind the radio. A quick snip, and peel and a hit with the sodering iron and some shrink fit and it was as good as new.

Might be worth a try for you as well, maybe you can find it is a short and not the $100 plus switch. Good luck, electrical gremlins always are time consuming.

  • Author

Thanks guys.....just found the culprit based on your suggestions. It's something loose or touching under the steering column......I reached up there and gently moved the wires around and things are back to normal. Now to pull the steering cover off and check which wire is the culprit! Electricity is something I know very little about except that "It bites you when you can't see it". Thanks for your ideas. Guy

  • 2 weeks later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Having problems with the taillights on my '72 240. blinker on 1 side ,breaklight on the other side, T/L on both sides, good signal with test light on both sides all functions until bulbs are put back in, grounds appear to be OK. any ideas?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.