IGNORED

73 240z

Sweet car for only $3800! For the gas smell start with the fuels hoses, then carb tune, then the myriad of gas tank hoses.

actually $3400!! how could i not buy it?

Ya i did some searching and i think i'll start with all the hoses. Now for the carb tune: what do i do to tune the carbs?

i hope its not a 73' thing cuz when i get out of my car my clothes smell bad

This is a very common problem with our now 36+ year old Z's. All the rubber fuel lines age and crack, that includes fuel feed, fuel return, fuel filler as well as all the rubber hoses that run though the passenger cabin for the Fuel Vapor Recovery system. Then there are leaks around the rear hatch due to aged/cracked hatch seals, tail light seals as well as body seam sealers that are cracking. Not to mention rust holes that have not been properly fixed in the past...

Exhaust leaks under the car, or a overly rich fuel mixture, or float bowls that overflow....

All these items can be fixed and the truth is that ALL of them have to be fixed to eliminate the odor in the car...

FWIW,

Carl B.

the hoses that have been mentioned are certainly suspect. I replaced all the vent hoses that I didn't do away with. But this is another thread.

Before you dive into the hoses. Take a dollar bill and close half of it in the rear hatch and see if it is tight to the dollar. Do this all across the bottom and up each side of the hatch, at least more than half way up. If the hatch is not sealing on the gasket you WILL have fumes entering the cabin . Especially with a window open and when you lift off the gas.

gasoline fumes are likely from the filler hose or a vent hose. You must remove the trim panel that runs accross the bottom of the hatch and the one that covers the area rear of the passenger side rear wheel. You will find a tank there with hoses coming and going from the gas tank. If any one of these are seeping fumes you will have it in the cabin. My '73 does not smell, either from gas fumes or exhaust fumes.

Gary

the hoses that have been mentioned are certainly suspect. I replaced all the vent hoses that I didn't do away with. But this is another thread.

Before you dive into the hoses. Take a dollar bill and close half of it in the rear hatch and see if it is tight to the dollar. Do this all across the bottom and up each side of the hatch, at least more than half way up. If the hatch is not sealing on the gasket you WILL have fumes entering the cabin . Especially with a window open and when you lift off the gas.

gasoline fumes are likely from the filler hose or a vent hose. You must remove the trim panel that runs accross the bottom of the hatch and the one that covers the area rear of the passenger side rear wheel. You will find a tank there with hoses coming and going from the gas tank. If any one of these are seeping fumes you will have it in the cabin. My '73 does not smell, either from gas fumes or exhaust fumes.

Gary

Thanks Gary!! I will try everything you mentioned. Only thing is I'll have to use a fiver for the hatch...LOL I'm in canada, the loonie might cause some damage. LOL

Congrats on your find and welcome to the site. So far it looks like you got a great deal for $3400. If you're lucky, you won't find any cancer in the structural areas of the car.

Is it just me or has there been a lot of new members with 73s over the last few months? Perhaps I'm just taking more notice of them since I'm a 73 owner. Just curious.