IGNORED

83 280zxt shifter jumps out o f 1st gear

Zrod

Hello all, the problem i'm having is that when i put the shifter into 1st gear and if i'm not holding it in place, the shifter slams out of gear. this does not happen in any other gear. it has the t5 borg warner tranny . what could be the cause and how hard would it be to repair ? thank in advance for any help.

Hello all, the problem i'm having is that when i put the shifter into 1st gear and if i'm not holding it in place, the shifter slams out of gear. this does not happen in any other gear. it has the t5 borg warner tranny . what could be the cause and how hard would it be to repair ? thank in advance for any help.

Bearings do not cause tranny to pop out of the gears. They make noise and then collapse. What you have is a bad syncro.

Esprist

how hard is this to repair? or is this something for a trans. shop to do. thanks for your help.
I've done a few of them over the years. The first one I did with absolutely no experience. I just followed the manual. The others became successively easier for the experience. But then, I've always been kind of fearless when it comes to things like that. For the most part I've been lucky. Transmissions weren't one of the things I ended up ruining before I learned how to deal with them. (I still won't touch an automatic, however). If you're fairly confident in your mechanical aptitude type skills, I'd say try it. If not, a trans shop would likely be your best bet.