IGNORED

Newbie Dad and Son project

Hi there!

New on the forum here and new to the world of Z. We got a running 77 280Z all in good working order and hope to teach/learn a thing or 2 about working on cars. I'm a bike nut myself and wrench all the time so figure it's the same.... just bigger. ;)

So a couple questions to start...

What's the torque value of the oil pan and valve covers? Can't seem to find it in my Clymer book... Then again, can't seem to find alot of stuff there. I'm hoping cinching down the bolts will stop the wee oil leaks. Otherwise off they come and new gaskets go in.

Brakes - all work great! For a '77 Datsun. I see all kinds of rear brake upgrade options online, but what about the Fronts?

Welcome. You should really get a factory service manual. The Clymer/Haynes/Chilton/etc. books can be helpful but don't always have everything you need. For my '72 the FSM lists 2.9 to 5.8 ft-lb for the oil pan bolts. Even the FSM doesn't show valve cover bolt torque but 5ft-lb or so seems right. It doesn't take much.

As far as brake upgrades I'm surprised you haven't found anything. By far the most popular is using 4 piston calipers from Toyota. They bolt right on. Here's a recent thread on the subject:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34762

Edited by MikeW
typo